Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical Cannabis Discussion

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Cannabidiol significantly reduces seizures in patients with severe form of epilepsy

Study looked at two doses of cannabis-derived medication's effectiveness in Lennox-Gastaut syndrome

Summary:

Cannabidiol (CBD), a compound derived from the cannabis plant that does not produce a 'high,' was shown in a new large-scale, randomized, controlled trial to significantly reduce the number of dangerous seizures in patients with a severe form of epilepsy called Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. This study also is the first to offer information on cannabidiol dosing for patients with treatment-resistant epilepsy.

Cannabidiol (CBD), a compound derived from the cannabis plant that does not produce a "high" and has been an increasing focus of medical research, was shown in a new large-scale, randomized, controlled trial to significantly reduce the number of dangerous seizures in patients with a severe form of epilepsy called Lennox-Gastaut syndrome.

In the new study comparing two doses of CBD to a placebo, the researchers reported a 41.9 percent reduction in "drop seizures" -- a type of seizure that results in severe loss of muscle control and balance -- in patients taking a 20 mg/kg/d CBD regimen, a 37.2 percent reduction in those on a 10 mg/kg/d CBD regimen, and a 17.2 percent reduction in a group given a placebo.

The phase III trial was led by principal investigator and study first co-author Orrin Devinsky, MD, a professor of neurology, neurosurgery, and psychiatry at NYU School of Medicine and director of NYU Langone's Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, and was published online May 17 in The New England Journal of Medicine.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0516172255.htm
    Last edited by WillBrink; 06-04-18 at 08:24.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Australian documentary about CBD on Netflix streaming A Life of it's Own. Check it out.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Title is misleading click bait but still interesting info of note. But, it's in line with the vast majority of 'Muricans, and one of the few issues the majority of people agree on in the US. Slowly but surely pharma and tobacco are losing their grip on preventing people access to medical cannabis and perhaps, just perhaps, this will happen, and it will lead to additional research needed as to what, where, how to best use medical cannabis and in who:

Trump Set To Legalize Medical Marijuana In All 50 States

"...legislation which will make medical marijuana federally legal for terminally ill patients. The bill, known as the “Right to Try Act,” will prohibit the FDA from banning natural cures, and allow patients to try medications that have not been approved by the FDA, but are currently under clinical trial.

Right to Try was passed unanimously by the Senate last summer and by the House of Representatives on Tuesday in a vote of 250 to 169, after Trump personally lobbied for its passage. While the bill’s provisions are targeted at a wide range of medications, they also apply to medical marijuana thanks to a clinical trial being conducted by the Multidisciplinary Association of Psychedelic Sciences (MAPS)."

https://yournewswire.com/trump-legal...cal-marijuana/
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    An interesting article attempts to sum up what's supported by the science, pro/cons etc via an expert panel:

Benefits

“There is conclusive or substantial evidence that cannabis or cannabinoids are effective for the treatment of chronic pain in adults,” the team, led by Marie McCormick of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, wrote.

“There is moderate evidence that cannabis or cannabinoids are effective for improving short-term sleep outcomes in individuals with sleep disturbance associated with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome, fibromyalgia, chronic pain and multiple sclerosis.”

Lab-made cannabis pills can help spasms caused by multiple sclerosis.

Pills can also help prevent and ease nausea caused by chemotherapy.

Risks

Studies show cannabis use is likely to increase the risk of developing schizophrenia, other psychoses, and social anxiety disorders. It can also raise the risk of depression, studies have found.
    Heavy marijuana users are more likely to report thoughts of suicide and heavy use of the drug can worsen symptoms of bipolar disease.
    Learning, memory and attention are impaired after using cannabis and there’s some evidence that they are damaged even after people stop using it.
    Studies have found some evidence cannabis use can raise the risk of unemployment, and users earn less than non-users.
    It can impair driving.
    Use may raise the risk of testicular cancer.
    Smoking marijuana may trigger a heart attack.
    It can worsen bronchitis and chronic cough.
    Babies born to women who smoke marijuana while pregnant can weigh too little.

What cannabis doesn’t do

There’s evidence that smoking marijuana does not raise the risk for cancers caused by tobacco use, such as lung cancer and head and neck cancer.
    “There is moderate evidence of no statistical association between cannabis use and … lung cancer (and) … head and neck cancers,” the report added. But there’s not much evidence about other cancers.

There’s also not enough evidence to show if cannabis can help amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease), Parkinson’s disease or Huntington’s disease.
    There’s some evidence cannabis does not help dementia.
    It’s not clear if smoking cannabis worsens asthma, emphysema or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Cont:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...s-pain-n706196
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    And it would seem very logical to me that "smoking" anything isn't going to be good for your lungs.
    I'm not sure that if you decide on control measures for a test and decide smoking the marijuana rather than another form of ingestion doesn't skew the data against it.
    I'm not sure how some old NonCom with a BS degree in Business can figure that out, but some folks at Harvard are oblivious to it?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    And it would seem very logical to me that "smoking" anything isn't going to be good for your lungs.
    I'm not sure that if you decide on control measures for a test and decide smoking the marijuana rather than another form of ingestion doesn't skew the data against it.
    I'm not sure how some old NonCom with a BS degree in Business can figure that out, but some folks at Harvard are oblivious to it?
    They're simply summarizing the data as it exists, and of course most of it is via smoking it. Note they do differentiate where possible such as "Lab-made cannabis pills can help spasms caused by multiple sclerosis" and "Pills can also help prevent and ease nausea caused by chemotherapy." and so forth. Probably much more details in the full report. Medical use generally not smoked as it's inefficient, bad for the lungs, and dose can't be standardized. Pills, vaporizers, etc are generally what's used. No doubt some of the negatives avoided by simply not smoking it, as well as issues such as CBD/THC ratios and such.

Needs more study.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My grandfather suffers from extreme chronic back pain. Think you have been all over the country with every different kind of doctor, including several surgeries only to be told here are some very very expensive pain medications that your insurance will only cover a certain amount on.

The pain can not be tolerated and suicide seems to be his only avenue of relief.

That has been the last four or so years of my grandfather's life. Now, through some persuasion of some people we know he has found some relief from some edible forms of this, now he can manage the pain and his suicidal tendencies are gone.

I'm against the average joe just getting high all the time, but for medical reason I'm all for it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm glad to hear your Grandfather found some relief. My best to him.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Really appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The same here also. We all wish him well. Four years can be an eternity in pain. I would think the edibles are so much less toxic than anything with equal effectiveness
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast