Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical Cannabis Discussion

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I would observe that cannabis use tends to be associated with a certain culture that lends itself pretty well to preconceived notions, and has done so since at least the 60's.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I would observe that cannabis use tends to be associated with a certain culture that lends itself pretty well to preconceived notions, and has done so since at least the 60's.
    Well before that with "refer madness" (1936) which was a concerted effort by tobacco companies and others who saw as they saw it as competition and the general prohibition attitudes of the time assisted with that:

The use of cannabis for medicinal uses goes back thousands of years. Yes, associating it with certain culture does lends itself to preconceived notions, but that's why we as thinking people have to approach the topic objectively and without preconceived notions per comments in the OP.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Well before that with "refer madness" (1936) which was a concerted effort by tobacco companies and others who saw as they saw it as competition and the general prohibition attitudes of the time assisted with that:

The use of cannabis for medicinal uses goes back thousands of years. Yes, associating it with certain culture does lends itself to preconceived notions, but that's why we as thinking people have to approach the topic objectively and without preconceived notions per comments in the OP.
    Heh heh. Reefer Madness. What a hoot. They were trotting that flick back out even when I was in college in the late 60's.

That said, approaching the cannabis topic objectively and generating unbiased data free of preconceived notions is the great challenge on this subject, and one that to date remains completely unmet. In the absence of real data, preconceived notions will prevail, right or wrong.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Heh heh. Reefer Madness. What a hoot. They were trotting that flick back out even when I was in college in the late 60's.

That said, approaching the cannabis topic objectively and generating unbiased data free of preconceived notions is the great challenge on this subject, and one that to date remains completely unmet. In the absence of real data, preconceived notions will prevail, right or wrong.
    Indeed, and once entrenched, very difficult to dislodge regardless of ever mounting evidence. There's a number of topics/issues like that sadly.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Indeed, and once entrenched, very difficult to dislodge regardless of ever mounting evidence. There's a number of topics/issues like that sadly.
    Respectfully, Will, I don't see any mounting evidence. I just see more and more anecdotes. It's going to take evidence to dislodge entrenched preconceived notions. I certainly support studying it, but I am suspicious that the reason we're not seeing evidence is that there is indeed a lack of efficacy with this particular drug.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It would seem that eventually common sense would prevail. Regardless of the obvious medical benefits for cancer patients, seizures, etc., cannabis is much less dangerous than alcohol which is perfectly legal. We spend way too much money and time on marihuana enforcement as it is now. You are always going to have some who abuse, but we see the same problem with alcohol. I don't use either, but I also don't want to keep anyone else from using it responsibly. I believe you will see widespread legalization within the next ten years.
    Join Gun Owners of America Here

Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true. - The Bodasafa

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Respectfully, Will, I don't see any mounting evidence.
    Respectfully doc, how much have you been looking into it recently?

I just see more and more anecdotes. It's going to take evidence to dislodge entrenched preconceived notions. I certainly support studying it, but I am suspicious that the reason we're not seeing evidence is that there is indeed a lack of efficacy with this particular drug.
    I'd say your prior comments on the scheduling/legal issues - in addition to the entrenched preconceived notions - is the major driver as to why it's heavy on anecdotes (some of which do come from clinical experience vs stoners simply claiming it makes X feel better) and low on solid published data we need to make educated and informed decisions regarding cannabis and various compounds found within.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
    It would seem that eventually common sense would prevail. Regardless of the obvious medical benefits for cancer patients, seizures, etc., cannabis is much less dangerous than alcohol which is perfectly legal. We spend way too much money and time on marihuana enforcement as it is now. You are always going to have some who abuse, but we see the same problem with alcohol. I don't use either, but I also don't want to keep anyone else from using it responsibly. I believe you will see widespread legalization within the next ten years.
    I agree, but wanted to keep it narrowed to potential medical uses vs devolving into a classic debate on if it should be legal for all casual uses which tends to go south quickly and is actually a different discussion in my view. Your mileage may vary.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Respectfully doc, how much have you been looking into it recently?

I'd say your prior comments on the scheduling/legal issues - in addition to the entrenched preconceived notions - is the major driver as to why it's heavy on anecdotes (some of which do come from clinical experience vs stoners simply claiming it makes X feel better) and low on solid published data we need to make educated and informed decisions regarding cannabis and various compounds found within.
    Not much. Find me some randomized prospective studies published in peer-reviewed literature, or a good meta analysis. My review of PubMed, which I undertook wearing my administrative hat developing institutional policy, indicates medical marijuana to be almost a total wasteland of level 1 evidence.

Last edited by Hmac; 09-14-15 at 10:35.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Fwiw, this was published last week in the NEJM.http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra1407304
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast