Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18" Precision AR Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

18" Precision AR Questions

Please help educate the ignorant. When I was in the USMC I had a 20" M16 with open sights. 25 years later and the eyes not what they used to be I want/need optics. I ended up with a Leuplod MK4 MRT 2.5-8 scope so I have the optics covered. I want to build or purchase a precision AR with an 18" barrel. Is there anything to be gained by using a matched Megalithic rifle length upper and lower over a more traditional upper/lower. Barrel would most likely be a Rainier Arms ultra match. This rifle will only be used to poke holes in paper or ring steel plates out to around 600 yards. Other options would be to purchase a complete 18" precision upper and lower from the likes of BCM. If I go the traditional upper/lower route is there a 15" rail that would be the best for this application?
    "S/F"

"Every man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H.L Mencken

Feedback Score
    I have 2 DD CHF S2W 18" barrels and they're both sub 3/4 MOA with mk262 clone loads. Neither are in a monolithic upper.

Feedback Score
    I bought a Rock River Arms upper in their R3... it's a tack driver out of the box. I reloaded some 77 smk's. yeah its a keeper. they guarantee you 3/4 MOA accuracy with a lot of their uppers. not many big name brands will do that.

5 shots at 100 yards. the squares are 1 inch.
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Thanks for the info gents, exactly what I am looking for. Any thoughts on which 15" rail would be optimal? I have also been looking at a Noveske Gen 2 lower with a Vltor upper. Thoughts, am I tracking right?
    "S/F"

"Every man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H.L Mencken

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaSoldier View Post
    Thanks for the info gents, exactly what I am looking for. Any thoughts on which 15" rail would be optimal? I have also been looking at a Noveske Gen 2 lower with a Vltor upper. Thoughts, am I tracking right?
    what's your goal in your rail, functionality to hang all sorts of trinkets or light? I like the Lancer Carbon stuff and even AA's carbon rail in 10 inch
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    I'm looking for rigidity. Probably just an Atlas bipod.
    "S/F"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaSoldier View Post
    I'm looking for rigidity. Probably just an Atlas bipod.
    I have a few carbon ones with just a single rail attachment at the bottom for my Atlas and Harris bipods. nice and light, but some of the new key mods are cool and very light
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    LOL I will go and shoot a 30 shot string for you. but to be far how fast did you shoot? I will accept this challenge.
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
    LOL I will go and shoot a 30 shot string for you. but to be far how fast did you shoot? I will accept this challenge.
    Still waiting for this...
    People start out wanting to do shooting as a hobby and it ends up their hobby is actually buying and operating expensive tools. Doesn't make sense when you think about it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    Still waiting for this...
    will do once I'm back from traveling, been having it rough in Hawaii for work...

and then I will make up some loads since I'm down to about 15. so you don't have to hold your breath
    Using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast