Thread: ECHO-2: My XM177E2 Clone build! (In Progress)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halo2304 View Post
    Searching for my options, I stumbled upon the Daniel Defense barrel you mentioned. AIM Surplus had them at one time, but no more. A member here had one for sale in the EE back in April, but it's been sold. Other than that, it would be a miracle to see one up for sale...at least, before I pin & weld the moderator to the barrel I eventually settle on. After I finish my upper, suddenly there'll be a dozen for sale.

I bought a 6720 upper off a guy with the intentions of chopping the barrel. Then it dawned on me, I have a 6520. I could simply "convert" it to a 6720 with the new upper and chop the barrel of my 6520. The foolishly sentimental part of me doesn't really want to do this because: Colt. Of course, AFTER I had bought the 6720 upper and while waiting for it's arrival, another gentleman put up for sale a 6520 barrel with everything but the gas tube and hand guards. Sadly, it was sold before I could scrounge funds to pick it up.

I feel this project is turning into something of a money pit. I've already bought two uppers. Because the first one was mostly stripped and in moderately battle worn condition, I decided to buy another one complete and in better condition. I also picked up some parts to finish the first one as well as a spanner-style nut for the receiver extension. I've also been looking for a more correct aluminum stock, original or copy. I found an original assembly from stock to end plate and with the spring and buffer, just needing a lower to mate with. The guy was asking $500. Too damn rich for my blood. I've seen a copy (Essential Arms) here and there, but they're all for the commercial tube. I don't know why, but I just throw up in my mouth a little at the thought of a commercial tube. I understand their place in the AR history, but I don't understand why they still exist. It seems like having the means to do it right, but using bailing wire and duct tape anyway.
    I'll worry about it later.
    Right now, I'm trying to figure out if the delta ring should be black or gray or if it should actually be flat and gray. I would like to be as correct as possible without going "full retard", price wise.
    That's where I stand right now with this project. Hopefully some of it made sense. Now, if you'll excuse me, daddy needs a drink.
    You know building retros are expensive because of the fact that most of the parts are no longer made. So when the parts dry up, the price for retros will increase which means that you are investing in more ways than just fun. Its cheaper and ok not having an exact replica with me because I'm a little bit of a penny pincher my self. But in general these retro projects are kinda money pits but definitely cheaper than the real ones that are more than +$25K but have more goodies.
    Last edited by ClassIIIGunsmith; 10-08-15 at 12:40.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein