Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The dreaded question, where is the best place for .357 , .44 wheel gun ammo ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I shoot like 300+ rounds of 9mm every time I hit the range.

Gold dots cost like 5x more than my reloads. How much do you shoot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Or alternatively how much money do you have to be burning up a bunch of premium ammo?
    Dang fellas...the man asked "and using for self defense". At NO TIME did I say or infer I used "premium" ammo as range/practice ammo.
    I shoot enough of it in all my handguns to check reliability, accuracy and point of impact, then keep them loaded with it. OF COURE I use cheaper FMJ ammo to practice with. I swear..some of you people KEEP a hard on to start an argument of criticize any little thing.

Feedback Score
    I can't criticize your ammo choice, since it's all good ammo. I just thought you were stating that it was all you shot.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    I can't criticize your ammo choice, since it's all good ammo. I just thought you were stating that it was all you shot.
    Me too. I use Gold Dots exclusively.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I buy two type of pistol ammo, Gold Dot and the cheapest I can find for blasting. Wheel gun ammo is little different.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 09-22-15 at 11:52.

Feedback Score
    The best place to find good affordable range practice am I is your own reloading bench! Even lowly 38 special factory plinking loads cost three times what my reloads cost to make.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ive been real lucky about range ammo this year...my local WM keeps a good amount of Federal/WWB and others in stock, and they keep the Federal Aluminum in stock, and I buy the heck out of it every time I see it. It is way cheaper, and very good range ammo. Not had one single problem with nary a round. Gold Dots, especially in 9mm 124gr +P..my fav..are hard to find and expensive hen you do. But I get em when I see's em.
    Also: MAGTECH is making some good ammo. I shoot it too. But on their .45ACP 230gr +P load, they advertise 1007fps. My chrony shows a 10 rnd string average of 960fps...none were over 978fps. Still a hot load tho.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 09-22-15 at 15:13.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For .357 magnum:

American eagle 158gr for blasting/range fodder.

Double Tap 158gr SJHP for actual shooting. (dwindling large scale purchase on sale from a few years ago, will be picking a new ammo for serious use shortly)

Speer Gold Dot 135gr +P Short barrel for home defense.

Used to be able to get good ammo for $0.25 a round... now you gotta hunt.

www.ammoseek.com
    is what i use for bulk purchases

for testing, i buy a box locally of whatever strikes me as reasonable and worth a shot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anybody use the Buffalo Bore offerings in either .38spl or .357 mag?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Anybody use the Buffalo Bore offerings in either .38spl or .357 mag?
    Not in 357 but I have used their heavy 44 mag. Stout stuff. Keep in mind this stuff is not for S&W revolvers, it is made for heavy wheel guns like the Ruger Super Redhawk and strong modern carbine like from Marlin. They provide a list of acceptable guns to run their high powered ammo though. Obviously such loads can be hand-rolled just be sure to confine them to an adequately strong weapon.

Feedback Score
    In .38 I practice with Geco LRN, PPU LRN. Equal accuracy, PPU recoils less, doesn't spit out as much debris.

I also use various 130 FMJ - 158 gr jacketed loads. Whatever is new, brass cased, and cheapest.

The only reloads I use are from Georgia Arms. 125 gr LSWC's. They are the more accurate than all the loads I listed above.

For .357 magnum I only practice with "mild" magnum loads like 110 gr SJHP's.

For .38 we chose Hornady 125 gr XTP's. They are very accurate. Won't expand much but will penetrate well. The same could be said for almost any .38 load from a snubbie revolver. Might as well choose something that isn't brutal to shoot and is really accurate.

In .357 magnum I like Hornady's Critical Duty. It's a mild, 135 gr load with low flash and blast. Recoil splits the difference between a standard factory .357 mag load and a .38 +p load.
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-19-17 at 23:33.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast