Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what got you into firearms?

Feedback Score

So what got you into firearms?

So what did it?

How old were you?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Being raised on a small rural farm it was just something we all started early in life.

Maybe 3 shooting with my father's assistance. On my own by 7

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

When I was 10, my dad taking me to a gun range with a single shot bolt action .22 just pegging steel animal shaped targets. The sound that the bullet made hitting the target was so satisfying.
    Last edited by Alpine2k3; 09-24-15 at 05:24. Reason: spelling
    Mill Operator
    Knight's Armament Company

Feedback Score
    I think what originally got me interested was my Dad buying me the book 'Guns and How They Work' by Ian Hogg for Christmas when I was 12.

Feedback Score

My addiction started kind of odd in my own opinion. I grew up in the country and was like any other kid everyday running around with my BB guns and slingshot and was taught by my dad when I was young how to shoot and handle his revolver but never had a desire to have my own. I'd go hunting with my friends and they always had to bring a spare for me to use. I just figured someday I'd get the itch for them. Then when I was in my 20s I got into it with a jackass that pulled a box cutter on me and sliced my hand up pretty deep. Since then it's been game on.
    At first it was semi auto pistols then the scary black rifles. My first ar was a rock river cause around here the most common is bushmaster, dpms, or rra. You really have to look to find someone that knows what they are talking about when it comes to ar's. After a few problems with it and upgrade questions on it with the help of Google I found M4C. I sent it down the road and upgraded to better brands and been learning ever since.
    Last edited by Tmtbob60; 09-24-15 at 10:24.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was born with an M14 and 1911, standard for children born to Marines circa 1982.

Feedback Score
    Grew up in a family where dad/uncle/brother were in the Army, I was also in the Army, was surrounded by farmers and small-town folk who hunted and shot for fun. Like a lot of Americans, guns have just been part of my culture.

Feedback Score
    Started building models of military vehicles as a kid. That led to the Army at 17 after graduating high school.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    My dad gave me a BB gun when I was really young. I fell in love with shooting at that time. We were just plinking cans and birds back then but there was something about the precision, concentration, and focus needed that I really liked. I didn't get into firearms until I moved from California to Arizona in 2006. The gun cultures are completely different (obviously) so it was a culture shock for me to see all the guns, the OWB OC folks, etc. It didn't take me long until I went nucking futs and bought a bunch of guns with most not getting shot very much. So I scaled back on the hardware and focus on the shooting part way more now which takes me back to being that "kid" again. Shooting is one of the very few things that I do, that when I'm doing it, it's the only thing that I'm thinking about. It's a great way to get my mind off of other stuff.

Reading some of the other responses, I think we're going to see a pretty common theme in this thread. I don't remember where I heard this, but it went something like, "We spend the rest of our lives trying to recreate the experiences from our childhood." I'm a big believer in that and think that it applies here as well.
    Last edited by donlapalma; 09-24-15 at 11:55.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I grew up in a military family and also one that was very active in the outdoors. I got my first BB gun at 7yrs old and it all started from there. I got my first real rifle at 10yrs old. Ruger 10/22. I've been shooting and hunting ever since. I've also passed that on to my kids. They started out hunting with me when they were 3yrs old in the dove fields. Both my daughter and son are avid hunters. They also shoot regularly with me.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast