Thread: Best 5.56 defensive round for expansion and cavity size

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Videos?

Sure, let's look at videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftrCtOyLrmU

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterM4 View Post

The video demonstrates that the round blows through an average human torso.

Again, you demonstrate your ignorance of the subject matter. For starters, "Clear Ballistics" gel IS NOT the scientific standard for professional terminal ballistic testing. Secondly, the FBI standard for penetration is 12" to 18".

While the average front-to-back diameter of the thorax of an adult American male is approximately 9.5”, gun fights tend to be rather unpredictable by nature so you might just need more penetration than that 9.5”. You can’t always count on the bad guy to be squarely facing you, with his hands at his side and holding perfectly still while allowing you to shoot at him (and all the while the bad guy not shooting back at you.)

If a bullet has to penetrate the bad guys right arm before continuing to travel into the thorax of the bad guy, (say from a lateral shot while the bad guy is trying to exit a vehicle in order to kill you) you’re going to need, on average, 12” of penetration to perforate the heart; more penetration of you want to pass through the left ventricle.

During the infamous 1986 FBI Miami Shootout, one of the opening shots in the gunfight fired by FBI Special Agent Dove hit Platt in the right arm, continued into his thorax, but stopped just short of Platt’s heart; due to the limited penetration of the 9mm Winchester SilverTip ammunition that was issued at the time. Had the bullet penetrated just a few more inches, it would have penetrated Platt’s heart. How many lives would have been saved that day if the 9mm ammunition used that day by the FBI had met a penetration requirement of 12”-18”?

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterM4 View Post

. . . I'm concerned people are using 5.56 as a "home defense" round in the confines of a typical American suburban home where distances to the bad guy are generally no more than 20 feet, if even that far.

Right, because none of us here have ever investigated this topic before and we need a newb like you to show us the light. Again to demonstrate just how clueless you are on the topic, here are the results of terminal ballistic testing through home interior walls, conducted by an actual expert in the field of terminal ballistics. As is clearly shown in the graphic below, the use of "9 .33 cal rounds, all at once" in a "home defense" situation is a poor choice when "over-penetration" is a concern.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    I buy the fusion or MSR rounds for both hunting and self defense. PSA had a sale for $12 a box for the MSR that ends on the 28th. I buy 5 - 8 boxes at a time whenever it goes on sale. Frequently Midway USA has them on sale as well. The Barnes TSX rounds are good to go too and range from 50 - 70 grain projectiles.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    28 rounds 50 grain BH tsx>7 rounds 12 guage anything
    Ar15 quicker follow up shots

Feedback Score
    I would think that after all this research with modern ammunition, there would be a clear winner of which 5.56 is the most capable of tearing up internals and causing damage. Or at least a top 3. Why so much speculation?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TraumaPlateDuctTape View Post
    I would think that after all this research with modern ammunition, there would be a clear winner of which 5.56 is the most capable of tearing up internals and causing damage. Or at least a top 3. Why so much speculation?
    You're looking at it the wrong way IMO. The fact that there are so many choices for your specific rifle and needs/wants is a GOOD thing!

You get to find what's best for you and not have to worry about 'there's only one good self defense round, hope you have the specific circumstances that make it work optimally'.

Seriously, look up that data reference sheet, there's a plethora of good options even subdivided by circumstances.

Feedback Score
    Id suggest some more research on terminal ballistics, but generally any bonded bullet is going to be effective.

Feedback Score
    If you're looking for massive expansion and cavity size, I've had very good results with the old school 64gr. Winchester Power Points. Two impacts at 150-160 yards on 160-170lb deer, in about the same location just behind the shoulder into the lower part of the heart). Results were massive fragmentation after less than 2 inches of penetration, the bullets did not even reach the inside of the rib cage opposite the bullet entry point... That membrane that lines the inside of the rib cage had no marks at all. Both lungs were shredded so bad they poured out the open chest cavity like a liquid, I kinda sifted through it in an attempt to find a bullet fragment, but could not. Heart had multiple perforations. Deer was on it's feet and running for about 5 seconds and died in mid-stride. No blood made it up the windpipe, all of it went out the entrance hole, like it was pouring out of a faucet. Total penetration was hard to determine, I'd have to guess 8 to 9 inches.

For inside the house I'm using Hornady 55gr. V-Max. Also have a mag of bulk pack 55gr. SP's driven by 24 grs. of Ramshot TAC, for non-critical shots.

Feedback Score
    I have both Hornady 75 gr TAP, and 62gr CorBon DPX. I keep the DPX in the gun for home invaders, and have the TAP loaded in mags in my vest should I need to go mobile.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    My inside ar round is the Barnes RRLP. I have the ballistic gel test on my computer so I can't post it now.

My handguns have Gold Dots or Winchester Ranger Bonded. Id use either of those in 5.56.
    Last edited by Swstock; 09-27-15 at 08:13.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast