Thread: (9mm AR) hollowpoints at 75yards.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

(9mm AR) hollowpoints at 75yards.

I wanted to share this in the AR Pistol treads (instead of the ammo threads) because i wanted to show the proformance of a 9mm HP out of an 8" barrel AR at ranges longer than they were disigned for. I was interested in how the round i chose was going to preform. I originally chose this round for its clamed barrier blind abilities. Because it is "barrier blind" i was concerned about it ability to expand at longer ranges due to its thicker jacket and polymer plugged cavity.

EDIT: 8.5" barrel

I guess that gave away what round i chose. Its the Hornady Critical Duity 135gr +P. My ballistics calculator say is should be traveling at around 1210fps at the muzzle and have 439 ftlbs of energy. I only got to shoot the round at 5 yards and 75 yards. I still want to do 100 yards and 125 yards. At 75 yards the velocity should be around 1080fps with 350 ftlbs of energy. With my 25 yard zero the POA & POI are prity much dead on at 75 yards . For future referance: 100 yards, 1048fps/330ftlbs/2"drop.... 125 yards, 1020fps/310ftlbs/6"drop.

This info was calculated with the velocity and B.C. Listed on hornadys website.

In the end i was impressed. the target was a thick walled ( .25") plastic container full of water. Both of these rounds dented the back of the container and almost exited. The length that the bullets travled in the water before hitting the inside wall of the container was 24". I know its not ballistics gel but its all i had.��

The bullet on the left was at 5 yards and the right was at 75 yards. The expansion of the 5yard bullet was .76 at the largest but as you can see there is a peice of the copper jacket in one spot that is sticking WAY out. if you dont count that part of the jacket than the larges dimension is .60. The 75 yard bullets largest dimension is right on.50.

Let me know what you think of the results and if your interested in seeing the 100yard and 125 yard results. If not ill do it for my own education.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by U&A; 09-29-15 at 19:40.
    know The Basics At A Superbowl Level. (I Think Larry Vickers Said That...)