Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: (9mm AR) hollowpoints at 75yards.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by biggfoot44 View Post
    Imp@ct velocity is the issue. Imp@ct with 8.5. @t 75-100 should be simil@r to comp@ct to subcomp@ct pistol up close. Chrono from your @ctu@l gun inste@d of guessing from ch@rt , then use your b@llist progr@m.

The re@l question is bullet perform@nce up close , where imp@ct vel is higher th@n intended.
    your answer about performance up close is in my first post. look at the 5 yard bullet. I dont have a chrono so a chart is the best i can do for this unscientific job..and ill quote a line from the last post i made

FYI for anyone that may be questioning this "testing" (using that word loosely),...let me be clear that this is for fun only. I am using the wrong media (water) in the first place. I am NOT doing this to determine if I can shot anything living at these ranges either....just for information and fun ONLY.
    know The Basics At A Superbowl Level. (I Think Larry Vickers Said That...)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for taking the time to do this. I use the 115 grain Hornady in my Glock 19 and just got a Colt 6951. I am planning to get it out to the range soon and try some cheap 115 grain ball ammo and the Hornady. If you do any further tests I would like to see your results.

Feedback Score
    I appreciate the interest guys. I have two classes this weekend and another in 2 weeks so I think I'm going to have a good opportunity to do some longer range shots. It honestly all depends on if i can get it done before the wife calls and asks why im not home yet. 😋

Feedback Score
    Howdy,

I have a Marlin Camp 9, a CZ-75 clone, and a KelTec PF-9 9mm.

I have tested all three with the same load(s) by shooting into waterjugs from various differences and with the proper load the bullet will expand @ 10yds from the PF-9 and will expand @ 100yds when fired from the Camp 9.

Some of the different bullets were Zero and Rem. 115gr JHP, and Hornady 147gr XTPs.

Paul

Feedback Score
    Howdy,

Here's a pic of a Horned XTP 147gr fired from the Camp 9 into the infamous waterjugs @ 60yds. The round was my reload using Longshot powder.

Paul

Feedback Score
    Well I did the 150 yard test.... I know I know I skip the 100 yard step. Shame on me. So I fired the first round from the prone position. I saw that hit through the red dot from the water that squirted out of the jug when the round hit it. So I hastily ran down the range like a little kid excited to see the results. I was very impressed with myself and the gun as the round hit dead center and I had to do about a 12 inch hold over. I looked at the back of the jug and G?$ dam? It! It was a pass-through and it also missed my wooden backstop that was placed behind the jug. The round actually took a sharp turn inside the jug and went out the back cornner. so now that I ran to the target I had to run back to the 150 yard mark because the jug was leaking from both ends. As soon as I got there I layed prone and fired two more rounds at the jug to be safe. This time I walked back because the jug was useless now. Both rounds were hits and both did the same thing the first one did. Took sharp turn almost exiting out the side of the jug. Soooooo.. Sorry but i didnt catch any of the bullets. I'm going to have to be a little more extravagant On trying to stop the bullet. Unfortunately I won't be able to get another one of the jugs for about a month. The jugs im using contain anti-spatter for welding at my work. I apologize to all those who are waiting I'll see if I can come up with something else before another jug is empty.

In my opinion because all of them took sharp turns and exited the jugs they either only partially expanded causing them to turn or they didn't expand it all and tumbled in the jug. Illl try again as soon as I can if anybody else wants to post pictures of what the results were feel free.

Feedback Score
    Howdy U&A,

Thanks for the post!

I too have had issue with the turning bullet exiting the side of the jug and not being able to recover the bullet.

Since the bullet did not travel in a straight line you know the bullet had to deform somewhat.

I have ran into this issue when shooting Nosler 220gr BTHP-Match bullet subsonic out of my .300 Blackout.

I'm going to try a triangle of jugs, like bowling pins, and hopefully il be able to recover a bullet. I need to try this load on wild hogs to see if it will tumble.

I've recovered match bullets from newspaper filled waterjugs where the hollowpoint nose would bend causing the bullet to tumble and exit the jug sideways.

Paul

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy U&A,

Thanks for the post!

I too have had issue with the turning bullet exiting the side of the jug and not being able to recover the bullet.

Since the bullet did not travel in a straight line you know the bullet had to deform somewhat.

I have ran into this issue when shooting Nosler 220gr BTHP-Match bullet subsonic out of my .300 Blackout.

I'm going to try a triangle of jugs, like bowling pins, and hopefully il be able to recover a bullet. I need to try this load on wild hogs to see if it will tumble.

I've recovered match bullets from newspaper filled waterjugs where the hollowpoint nose would bend causing the bullet to tumble and exit the jug sideways.

Paul
    Sounds like a good idea. Ill have to try somthing like that. I did fing another jug but it smaller. I just need to find a few more. I've been considering wet pack as well to slow it down faster. I did look at the back of the jugs again later today and noticed the exit holes definitely looked like they were keyholing.

Feedback Score
    image.jpgimage.jpgDid 150yard test again with wetpack this time. Dont have my micromiters with me so ill mic them at work tomorrow. Penetration was decent. About 10" for both.

EDIT for diameters: #1 was .465 and #2 was .455
    Last edited by U&A; 02-08-16 at 06:09.

Feedback Score
    just got some new hollow points for my 9mm AR to try out. kinda excited to be honest. a box of 1000 rds Federal HST "tactical" 147gr +P. I plan on shooting these at 150 yards as well to get a good comparison to the critical duty that I did in February. if they dont open up at that distance, im sure they will, ill keep walking in until they do. maybe if they do work fine at 150 I will try to go out to 200 just for fun.

ill post pic's. not sure exactly when ill do it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast