Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: G19 Gen4 light primer strike

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    FWIW I took a g17 gen 4 and a g19 gen 4 to the range today. Put 125 rounds through each using a can of laxammo factory reloads. Both have a couple thousand rounds through them so break in is not a factor.

The g17 had zero failures. The g19 had 15 FTF. Looked like light primer strikes to me and all fired on 2nd try. This is a large sample size so I think we can conclude the ammo wasn't the issue.

i'm going to find a glock certified armorer and figure out what the issue is. I will update when I have an answer. Best guess is I somehow got gunk around firing pin on g19. I lube both the same per manual so I can't imagine what i could have done wrong.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As stated above, I would not be to concerned unless it happens on a regular basis after its had 500 rounds or so put through it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikill Drengr View Post
    As stated above, I would not be to concerned unless it happens on a regular basis after its had 500 rounds or so put through it.
    Both of the glocks I mentioned above have a couple thousands rounds through them.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    will an attempt be made to fire this round out of the same new G19?

as a reloader, I would want to know.

as someone who issues new factory ammo and instructs, I have seen new rounds that won't fire, fire on 2nd attempt, no flash hole, backwards or sideways primers.

just curious.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bang4Buck View Post
    FWIW I took a g17 gen 4 and a g19 gen 4 to the range today. Put 125 rounds through each using a can of laxammo factory reloads. Both have a couple thousand rounds through them so break in is not a factor.

The g17 had zero failures. The g19 had 15 FTF. Looked like light primer strikes to me and all fired on 2nd try. This is a large sample size so I think we can conclude the ammo wasn't the issue.

i'm going to find a glock certified armorer and figure out what the issue is. I will update when I have an answer. Best guess is I somehow got gunk around firing pin on g19. I lube both the same per manual so I can't imagine what i could have done wrong.
    Is the Glock 19 complete with factory parts?
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic1 View Post
    Is the Glock 19 complete with factory parts?
    Yes. The only mod done to any of my glocks has been having a larger slide stop lever installed, as the factory levers are too small IMO. No other mods.

Both glocks are a couple years old with around 1500 rounds through them, so they are well past break in. The g19 is my EDC which is very concerning.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bang4Buck View Post

Did you check striker protrusion by depressing striker safety plunger and pushing striker forward? Tip intact? Bring the plunger just a little back against the spring - emphasis on 'a little' - keep the safety plunger depressed and let it go - if the striker protrudes you probably aren't too gunked up. You probably know this, but just in case, that hole on the bottom of the slide near the front of the striker channel, is not a lube point.

Somebody else shoot the weapon with same results with that ammo?

You said 'about 1500 rounds' could it be a little more? If so maybe recoil spring?

If you saved the cases with the double hits, visually compare to see if the primers are seated to the same depth (unless you have a gauge). A lot of time if they are a skoosh deep they will fire on the second hit.

That's all I got. Good luck.

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Your light strike does not look like a standard primer strike from a Glock - it is missing the classic rectangular
    "footprint" surrounding the imprint from the striker nose. What is overall case length of the offending round? I'm leaning towards ammo that was out of spec more so than the pistol.
    john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    You're not going to get the rectangle on the primer unless it goes off.

The other guy needs to check for a chipped/broken striker and spring cups.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Did you check striker protrusion by depressing striker safety plunger and pushing striker forward? Tip intact? Bring the plunger just a little back against the spring - emphasis on 'a little' - keep the safety plunger depressed and let it go - if the striker protrudes you probably aren't too gunked up. You probably know this, but just in case, that hole on the bottom of the slide near the front of the striker channel, is not a lube point.

Somebody else shoot the weapon with same results with that ammo?

You said 'about 1500 rounds' could it be a little more? If so maybe recoil spring?

If you saved the cases with the double hits, visually compare to see if the primers are seated to the same depth (unless you have a gauge). A lot of time if they are a skoosh deep they will fire on the second hit.

That's all I got. Good luck.

Update: I've always just done the basic strip and clean. Never removed the striker and checked the channel until today. I coudn't belive how much gunk was on the striker, spring, and in the channel area. Dumped the whole striker with spring and all in some hoppes 9 cleaner and let it soak for a few minutes. Then cleaned it and the channel with a clean rag and some qtips. I'm really curious how that much gunk could get in there, as I follow the manual and only lube the 6 places shown.

I'll be heading to the range again this weekend to test. I have to believe all that gunk was affecting the integrity of the striker resulting in light hits to the primer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast