Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: USSOCOM Issues Safety of Use Message for EOTech Enhanced Combat Optical Sights

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Looks like EOTech's problems just got worse, as the federal govt is apparently suing the company and its president under the false claims act, seeking civil penalties that could amount to major money. The link also indicates that a settlement deal has been reached. See the link below for more:

The Department of Justice has been investigating EOTech for some time and has finally filed suit (US v. L-3 Communications EOTech Inc., 15-cv-09262) in US District Court, Southern District of New York (Manhattan).
    http://soldiersystems.net/2015/11/24...eotech-sights/

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I wonder if L3 will even notice the $26M?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I wonder if L3 will even notice the $26M?
    Yes, my guess is other Federal, State,local ebtities will threaten to sue resulting in a massive recall.

I can also arbitrarily exclude L3/EO Tech from future contracts based on past (this issue) QC issues.
    Winning may not be everything, but the endorsements are better.

Feedback Score
    I'm really curious as to how L3 will respond in the long term in their product?
    Will they step up their game and make better products?
    Will they keep pushing the same product at a different price point?
    Somehow, I think it'll fall somewhere in between.
    Curious to see how this goes. I love the circle dot, but I wish it was in an Aimpoint.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    I'm really curious as to how L3 will respond in the long term in their product?
    Will they step up their game and make better products?
    Will they keep pushing the same product at a different price point?
    Somehow, I think it'll fall somewhere in between.
    Curious to see how this goes. I love the circle dot, but I wish it was in an Aimpoint.
    not even remotely the same technology.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Damage View Post
    not even remotely the same technology.
    That is something that is a known.
    The point was, and is the putting the possible attributes of either into a single platform. Currently, Aimpoint can not do this, L3 cannot do this. The statement was a simple preference to the optic that could do both, hypothetically.
    Maybe the statement could be made that the L3 inspired reticle would be a detriment or convenience in use in a better platform over a conventional dot?
    I personally like the use of the circle dot for some uses. I have known about the issues for some time. that does not mean that advantages of the less than preferable system just disappear. There are some advantages in the circle dot, but I would prefer them to be in a more consistent reliable optic.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Gubment Sues EOTech

Interesting...

U.S. Government Sues L3 Com’s (EOTech) For Fraud

L3 Communications, the holding company that owns EOTech, is being sued by the United States Government for fraud. Their products were the subject of a recent SOCOM warning that the EOTech holographic sights experienced shifting zero across different temperature ranges, which was also a factor in Elite Defense, the international distributor for the sights, cutting ties with L3. SoldierSystems.net has more information on the lawsuit:

The Department of Justice has been investigating EOTech for some time and has finally filed suit (US v. L-3 Communications EOTech Inc., 15-cv-09262) in US District Court, Southern District of New York (Manhattan).

Specifically, the Government’s allegations concentrate on the performance of the Holographic Weapon Sights at temperature extremes as well as in high moisture environments. The Government also claims that EOTEch failed to disclose testing that demonstrated the inaccuracy issues in those environments.

In addition to naming L-3 and EOTech as defendants in the Government’s suit, they also named EOTech’s president, Paul Mangano which isn’t very common. They are seeking unspecified triple damages plus civil penalties of as much as $11,000 for each fraudulent claim.

L-3 has been aware of the pending action, having mentioned the issue in their July 2015 SEC filing as well as setting aside $26 million.

EOTech sights, though they have a steady fanbase, have had their fair share of issues. The sights have been troubled by much poorer battery life (about an order of magnitude lower) than comparable Aimpoints, due to the laser diode projection system, as opposed to the latter’s LED-based system. In the past, there have also been complaints with L3 Communication’s quality control, and the optics having parts breakages, such as broken battery contacts and detached reflectors. On the other hand, L3 Communications is one of the only manufacturers of laser diode holographic weapon sights on the market, which makes EOTechs one of the only available optics lines with the sharp, clear, customizable reticle afforded by holographic laser projection.

Cont:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ech-for-fraud/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Looks like at least one agency has selected their replacement.

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2015/11...ects-aimpoint/
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    The "idea" of the circle dot can be outstanding. The L3 execution of that principle can be less than so. That does not mean the concept isn't valid. I would have prefered the concept altered in some ways to make the platform more useful as a whole.
    Thermal shifts can and do happen in optics going beyond the scope of this. Knowing what characteristics can change in use can alter how "a" system is used better put to use.
    That doesn't automatically mean that a thermal shift threshold beyond the span should be tossed. A better argument could be about the possible consistencies or inconsistencies that could be had for their own end use.
    Many optics have a thermal drift, consistencies can be crucial to how the system may operate as a whole.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    The "idea" of the circle dot can be outstanding.
    I love the reticle on my Kahles K16i SM1 and I agree a circle dot is nice. It would be cool to see Aimpoint figure out a way to make one, I think that is the best chance of success for a rugged 0x optic utilizing a circle dot.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast