Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: BCM's new KMR-A is out (on their RECCE Rifles)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BravoCompanyUSA View Post
    Strength wise both metals are very similar with a slight edge to aluminum with a torture test. The finish on the KMR-A (alum) is going to be more durable, as its Hard Coat Anodized per Mil-A-8625F, Type III, Class 2.
    Thanks!

Thank you for this info.

And those factory rifles with the hammer forged barrels are just tits!

Grant, you got a winner there any chance you'll get some pinned 14.5s?

I read this thread to the end and just wow, 2.2oz heavier for the KMR-A (which is actually stronger) and about $100 in savings (including the QD mount) and people actually think it's TOO heavy?! Take a piss and or a dump before you pick up your rifle and call it good.

Or use a drill press . . .
    https://762precision.wordpress.com/a...ar-15-project/

"In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    We asked BCM if they would put their BFG ELW barrel on their RECCE-16 for us (and they did). So those of you that have always wanted their hammer forged barrel in a complete factory built rifle, your day has come!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...50-790-BFH-ELW

C4

Now only if it came in the Burnt Bronze offering. That would push me over the edge and order one

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Thank you for this info.

And those factory rifles with the hammer forged barrels are just tits!

Grant, you got a winner there any chance you'll get some pinned 14.5s?

I read this thread to the end and just wow, 2.2oz heavier for the KMR-A (which is actually stronger) and about $100 in savings (including the QD mount) and people actually think it's TOO heavy?! Take a piss and or a dump before you pick up your rifle and call it good.

Or use a drill press . . .
    https://762precision.wordpress.com/a...ar-15-project/

14.5" are in stock now!

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    You misunderstood my intent. All I was saying is that it wouldn't surprise me if they made the rail initially out of aluminum as a proof of concept, before going all in with the new alloy.
    Ah. I think the confusion comes from the fact that "pre-production" is typically reserved for units produced to final spec on the production equipment in order to test the manufacturing process, whereas you really were referring to prototypes. Like many manufacturers, BCM sends pre-production units to media ahead of a full product launch because they fairly represent what the customers will end up with. Suggesting that the pre-production units shown by media were actually aluminum sounded like you were saying they were trying to get away with a bit of subterfuge.

If I remember correctly, the engraving on the pre-production units was infilled, but BCM felt that the process used was too tedious to get right, and so that step was dropped from the production units. Ironically, I got plenty of negative comments on my own KMR video from people who did not like the infill, proving that no matter what you do, you're going to disappoint somebody.
    aka, "TWANGnBANG"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
    no matter what you do, you're going to disappoint somebody.
    the smiley at the end of that is fantastically appropriate.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
    Ah. I think the confusion comes from the fact that "pre-production" is typically reserved for units produced to final spec on the production equipment in order to test the manufacturing process, whereas you really were referring to prototypes. Like many manufacturers, BCM sends pre-production units to media ahead of a full product launch because they fairly represent what the customers will end up with. Suggesting that the pre-production units shown by media were actually aluminum sounded like you were saying they were trying to get away with a bit of subterfuge.

If I remember correctly, the engraving on the pre-production units was infilled, but BCM felt that the process used was too tedious to get right, and so that step was dropped from the production units. Ironically, I got plenty of negative comments on my own KMR video from people who did not like the infill, proving that no matter what you do, you're going to disappoint somebody.
    Bingo! Some people complained about the white lettering and others complained about its absence.

And you're correct. I was referring to prototyping. Way before the KMR was released, the original promo pictures showed the white lettering. A months long discussion thread ensued here in anticipation of its release. Some of that discussion revolved around the engraving (Not much). I was just guessing that MAYBE the original pictures were possibly of a prototype, that might have been aluminum. Just hazarding a guess, with no proof. It was just me thinking out loud. And I completely agree that BCM doesn't pull those kind of stunts.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Wish somone would do a tourture test on the alpha. I rememeber that one review video where the guy poped it againt a log to "show its strength " and bent the shit out of it lol. I dont even put a bipod on the original because it feels like its gona break the handguard... i bought 2 alphas and they do seem stronger ....

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011