Thread: New to me AK74 crapping the bed on me

Feedback Score

New to me AK74 crapping the bed on me

Hi guys, I posted on another forum but looking for input here. Did some trading with a buddy of mine and picked up a Tennessee guns build AK74( Nodak receiver, bulgarian parts kit build)Took her to the range today runnning new Bulgy 30 rd mags and Wolf 60 grn FMJ.(both of which run fine in my Arsenal SGL31) First 20 rounds no issues, then started to get some big issues with ejection. Fired case extracts no problem, but does not seem to eject. Had about 10 failures in 30 rds. Almost seems like the bolt is short stroking. Anyways heres a few pics, any AK runners have advice on what the issue could be?Gonna hit the range tomorrow with some different mags but I dont thing thats the problem....Thanks for your thoughts
    74-2.JPG74-3.JPG74-1.JPG

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    May be an extractor issue. I would field strip, clean and lube (I use lithium grease) the whole gun and completely disassemble and fully clean the bolt. Make sure that the Extractor and extractor spring look good and clean, then go shoot it and see if that helped.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Not short stroking as the bolt is going back far enough to start stripping the next cartridge from the magazine.

Detail strip the bolt and pay attention to the extractor and extractor spring as it's possible that the extractor is loosing control of the fires case.

You need different sized ejectors for 5.45x39 or 7.62x39, but that's part of the receiver, so unless they built the rifle on the wrong receiver (which has happened) that's not it. Check the ejector for damage like chipping and that as you pull the bolt back the ejector almost completely fills its slot in the bolt.

AKs run great as long as they're built right. Unfortunately, they aren't as easy to build correctly as some believe.

H

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies..I did notice the extractor moves a little easier with finger pressure than my other 5.45 which runs flawless(Arsenal SGL31) I did clean the chamber well and re-lubed, hit the range again with different mags( E.German & Russian) and even tried some 7N6, still same issue. I might try to pick up a extractor and spring and replace that, then see what happens. Of course I've never detail stripped an AK bolt so that might be an adventure...

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    Thanks for the replies..I did notice the extractor moves a little easier with finger pressure than my other 5.45 which runs flawless(Arsenal SGL31) I did clean the chamber well and re-lubed, hit the range again with different mags( E.German & Russian) and even tried some 7N6, still same issue. I might try to pick up a extractor and spring and replace that, then see what happens. Of course I've never detail stripped an AK bolt so that might be an adventure...
    That's the good stuff. Here is a decent video on how to do it. Its all just which way the pins come out - https://youtu.be/0o_5WYq4ZBI?t=1m54s

Feedback Score
    This might not be the problem, but I'd sure as heck check the headspace of that rifle. The first TN Guns AK74 I saw had rivets at the front trunnion that were obviously not press properly. When they pressed in the barrel, it hit the rivets causing them to cant. This told me that TN Guns had people building their AK's who didn't know what they were doing and they didn't have QC.

Also, you might ask your "buddy". Perhaps he forgot about the ejection problem.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    Hi guys, I posted on another forum but looking for input here. Did some trading with a buddy of mine and picked up a Tennessee guns build AK74( Nodak receiver, bulgarian parts kit build)Took her to the range today runnning new Bulgy 30 rd mags and Wolf 60 grn FMJ.(both of which run fine in my Arsenal SGL31) First 20 rounds no issues, then started to get some big issues with ejection. Fired case extracts no problem, but does not seem to eject. Had about 10 failures in 30 rds. Almost seems like the bolt is short stroking. Anyways heres a few pics, any AK runners have advice on what the issue could be?Gonna hit the range tomorrow with some different mags but I dont thing thats the problem....Thanks for your thoughts
    74-2.JPG74-3.JPG74-1.JPG
    Obviously, what you are experiencing is a symptom of a larger problem. Is there a buffer in the gun? Either the action isn't getting enough gas or of the ejector is faulty.

Post some pics of the ejector in the receiver. Odds are something is wrong there.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichDC2 View Post
    That rifle has won trophies for its game face alone!

Feedback Score
    I'm guessing a short ejector. Some nodak 74 receivers had this as a known issue several years ago. Take off the top cover and cycle the action while keeping an eye on the ejector as it slides through the bolt. From the pics and description I would bet that's the issue. If the ejector isn't reaching pretty close to the right side of the bolt as it slides past, it could be "missing" or in sufficiently hitting the fired casing as the carrier drags it by, resulting in the type of malfunction in the pics.
    Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    A soft ejector could be the cause also. But Nodak receivers are usually good in that department.

H