Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: best 8 shot 357 Mag

Feedback Score
    What are you actually going to do with it?

If you like the idea of an 8 shot revolver, and want to try it out, what do you really want to do?

If you are going to put 50 rounds through it three or four times a year at the range,
    Keep it in the dresser for HD or your hip on hikes,

The Taurus is fine.
    It actually is.
    I have a 4 inch and the 6 inch.
    A company makes speed loaders for them
    Finding a good holster is an issue.

If you are going to do serious training and serious competition,
    Drop the 1100 bucks on the smith.

It's like buying a truck.
    If you want 4 big tires and a bed and want to drive a truck, and have a little fishing boat or motorcycle trailer,
    Who cares if you get a standard truck.
    A HD diesel dually is not required.

If you are going to be towing big stuff a lot get the HD with goose neck and diesel.

I think there was an article a decade ago where they put a smith and the Taurus through serious competitor round counts for a couple of years and killed the Taurus.

But A couple of hundred rounds a year, you will be pushing up daisies before the Taurus is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    Agreed. I'm still surprised when someone brings this up. I have owned many 3rd gen S&W auto's. Yes, they are heavy (though the alloy frames weren't that bad), but, for me, they were as reliable as a Glock and required almost no maintenance. I regret selling my 4506-1 and CS9.
    I love them for being SS tanks,
    But Single stack, mediocre ergs, meh trigger is where I stand on them.

Its like loving my 69 GTO.

Feedback Score
    Well My 11 year old Taurus 605 is working fine, but I don't think it has a great resale. I have several S&W too and that is my preference.

Feedback Score
    Ruger is bringing a new 8-shot 357 magnum revolver to the market. The Redhawk with 2 3/4" barrel.
    Also 5-shot GP100 3" barrel .44 special.
    Redhawk #1 on my list.

Feedback Score
    I CCW daily an S&W 327PC for the past six or seven years. I have carried various 45ACP's, 9mm's and I always come back to revolvers. I like the simplicity of operation and with modern +P's or full house .357's you get great performance. I find the 327PC the best of both worlds. It is very light with it's Scandium & Titanium construction but you can shoot full house .357's comfortably because it is built on a larger N frame. I usually carry a spare moon clip in a belt pouch and IMHO you can't go wrong with 16 rounds of Barns XPD .357 mags. The only upgrade I made when I first got it was to swap the stock wood grips for some of VZ's G10 320 style. They feel great and are impervious to sweat and chemicals. They look as good as the day I installed them six or seven years ago.

Last edited by MadDog; 01-06-17 at 10:45.

Feedback Score
    Maddog love that gun. I can't say what I would use it for but one is tempting.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    I CCW daily an S&W 327PC for the past six or seven years. I have carried various 45ACP's, 9mm's and I always come back to revolvers. I like the simplicity of operation and with modern +P's or full house .357's you get great performance. I find the 327PC the best of both worlds. It is very light with it's Scandium & Titanium construction but you can shoot full house .357's comfortably because it is built on a larger N frame. I usually carry a spare moon clip in a belt pouch and IMHO you can't go wrong with 16 rounds of Barns XPD .357 mags. The only upgrade I made when I first got it was to swap the stock wood grips for some of VZ's G10 320 style. They feel great and are impervious to sweat and chemicals. They look as good as the day I installed them six or seven years ago.

Nice piece, I bet that baby barks and bites like a BIG DOG. I shot the 44 mag of that version and it ate my ass a live. But in times of fight or flight , there is zero felt recoil. Those are nice custom grips, I bought some recently from Craig Speigel. His back order time was only 6 months or so.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 01-07-17 at 11:23.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I also advise you to avoid any Taurus product. I can't emphasize that enough. My experience with them has not been good. Their lifetime service policy didn't work for me because they never repaired the product and sent back a still malfunctioning gun.

Feedback Score
    Got a chance yesterday to handle the new Ruger Redhawk in .357 with 8 round cylinder. I was very disappointed as the trigger pull was crap. The double action pull was actually better then the single action pull. Double was about 8 lbs. and the single felt like 10 or 12 lbs. kind of like something was jamming up the mechanism inside. The fit and finish was great and I really liked the grips but it weighed a lot more then my 44 mag Ruger Alaskan with the same barrel length. Think I will pass on this one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
    Got a chance yesterday to handle the new Ruger Redhawk in .357 with 8 round cylinder. I was very disappointed as the trigger pull was crap. The double action pull was actually better then the single action pull. Double was about 8 lbs. and the single felt like 10 or 12 lbs. kind of like something was jamming up the mechanism inside. The fit and finish was great and I really liked the grips but it weighed a lot more then my 44 mag Ruger Alaskan with the same barrel length. Think I will pass on this one.
    Thanks for posting this. I've been drooling over that pistol, but it seems pricey. Your gripes make me think it's not worth dropping that much on a revolver.

I just HATE that dang trigger lock thingy on the Smiths.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast