Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Why not use grease on ARs?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had some Lubriplate on a low round count rifle this past year and have taken it to the range twice this week with a suppressor (<100 rounds). Today when I was shooting, it felt sluggish and was a little hard to manually charge. When I got home I cleaned off all the grease and put on Slip EWL that came with a BCM upper. I'll eventually try some FIREClean.
    People start out wanting to do shooting as a hobby and it ends up their hobby is actually buying and operating expensive tools. Doesn't make sense when you think about it.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    In my experience grease has never worked well for me when lubing the BCG on an AR. It seems to trap more fouling/carbon than any thing else. I have noticed it slows down the action of the gun in colder conditions. Grease can also make a mess in the upper receiver if you use too much or keep adding to it instead of cleaning and re-lubing. I prefer a medium or even heavier weight oil instead such as Slip 2k EWL 30 or weaponshield which doesn't trap the fouling/carbon as much.

I will say that when the gun is clean and freshly lubed, the action feels and sounds quite smooth with grease. This changes as you shoot more and more I've noticed unfortunately.

Also, I have found that if you do use grease, make sure you use it very sparingly on the BCG. I had used Mil Comm TW25b on an older AR for a couple of years and found it best to spread the grease to the point you can't see the white any more, just a sheen. This seemed to work ok too but if you use too much grease or keep adding grease without cleaning, you may end up with a dirty paste in the upper receiver.

I love grease for pistols like my Sig's. Then again you don't get as much carbon fouling on the slide rails of a pistol or the outside of it's barrel like you do inside a DI AR 15 upper/bcg.
    Last edited by og556; 10-06-15 at 23:39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 13mike View Post
    I've used grease before. TW-25 worked well through a 4 day 2k class. I purposely left it in the rain and other things during the class just to see. Most products would do that I would think.

I prefer oil because it's so quick to top off without disassembly, grease not so much. Using oil seems to keep things cleaner, or at least make them easier to clean if or when you were inclined.
    I have used TW-25 and CLP on my ARs for quite a while. I lube parts of the upper, bolt, cam, and bcg, with a light film and of grease (TW-25) then lube it all again with clp or whatever gun oil is on hand. I usually fire my rifles around 1,000-1,500 rounds then break it down for a cleaning (the SS match rifles 500-1,000 rounds). This has worked well for my needs.

http://www.safariland.com/gun-lubric...ant-15337.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/254...un-grease-tube

Feedback Score
    For the past several years I have generously applied TW-25 grease on my BCGs and have never had any issues. I'm guilty of not cleaning at the 1000+ mark, reapplying said grease, and trucking on...Poor discipline on my part. I utilize the TW-25 oil in the lower, which seems to work just fine. I made that move based on oils I was using at the time not staying put at lower round counts...Granted, I could reapply if/when necessary, just don't seem to need to, as early, with the grease. I have not shot this configuration in the interior during the colder months so could be an issue...?

Interesting note on the WD40 piece, not AR related; this spring I received a custom 1911 from one of the highly regarded shops (name withheld as I don't want to speak for them) and the gun was coated in a different oil. I called the shop and spoke with the rep who I dealt with throughout the order/receiving process, and asked him what kind of lube they recommended. He responded by saying; "we clean and lube all of our pistols here with WD40, its cheap and it works". I remember it clearly as I've always been advised not to use it, not for any damage that it would/could cause to the gun but because it "is a penetrate and can kill primers"....
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slab
    He responded by saying; "we clean*and lube*all of our pistols here with WD40, its cheap and it works". I remember it clearly as I've always been advised not to use it, not for any damage that it would/could cause to the gun but because it "is a penetrate and can kill primers"....
    The Box o Truth did that test awhile ago, along with some other WD40 findings.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-...il-vs-primers/

I've been pleased with and use Otis 085 Ultra Bore CLP.
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 10-24-15 at 03:22.

Feedback Score
    Hadn't seen the oil/primer write up before, thanks for sharing.
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011