Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KMR Alloy Shortage = Something New from BCM

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

KMR Alloy Shortage = Something New from BCM

For the last 6-7 weeks I've been watching the BCM site for a complete upper (the BCM-URG-MID-16-BFH-ELW-KMR13) to come back in stock. I thought maybe the barrel was the reason for the delay but after seeing it was in stock I emailed BCM to see if they could provide an estimate on when the URG might be in stock. Below is the reply I received today:

"We are grateful for the overwhelming demand for the BCM® KMR and regret that we have not been able to keep up with this demand. The unique and proprietary alloy, with which we own 100% of domestic distribution, is in very short supply and has been the sole reason for sporadic inventory. Recent advancements from the BCM® Product Development Team have enabled the imminent release of several new BCMGUNFIGHTER™ offerings, including additional alloy options for the highly coveted BCM® KMR. This will enable us to raise KMR inventory levels quite a bit over the next 4 months. We are anticipating this inventory situation will be resolved by the end of this year.

It is our intent to close out 2015 with several exciting new products we are confident will exude the same quality BCM® customers have come to rely on, offered at more competitive prices. Thank you for your continued support and loyalty through often chaotic times. Please stay tuned to our Newsletter and social media pages for upcoming product announcements."

info@bravocompanyusa.com
    Bravo Company USA
    www.BravoCompanyUSA.com
    www.BravoCompanyMFG.com

While I'd like the upper sooner rather than later the prospects of KMRs made with "additional alloy options" is intriguing. Hopefully there isn't much variance from the current weight.

Now, let the conspiracy theories and rampant speculation begin.

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    It'll be interesting to see if the price point remains the same.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Hopefully they do a 7075 aluminum version.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Hmmm. Hopefully a Mod 1 stock is one of their products. I'm gonna start a rumor that they worked a deal with Hodge and are using the materials they've incorporated in his Mod 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis6576 View Post
    the prospects of KMRs made with "additional alloy options" is intriguing. Hopefully there isn't much variance from the current weight.

Now, let the conspiracy theories and rampant speculation begin.
    No speculation needed. The product pages have been up for at least a week now.

The new KMR variants are called "KMR Alpha." The Alpha handguards are all aluminum (no Mg alloy) and weigh slightly more.

Here's the product pages (not searchable on BCM's site):
    -KMR Alpha 15 (says it's in stock right now too!), 15" long, 2.2oz mounting hardware, 8.1oz rail
    -KMR Alpha 13, 13.4" long, 2.2oz mounting hardware, 7.7oz rail
    -KMR Alpha 10, 10.5" long, 2.2oz mounting hardware, 6.3oz rail
    -KMR Alpha 9, 9.4" long, 2.2oz mounting hardware, 6oz rail
    -KMR Alpha 7, 7.39" long, 2.2oz mounting hardware, 5.2oz rail

The increase in weight over the Mg/Al KMR rails is 2.2oz (across all models). Given the small increase in weight and looking at the Mega/Hodge 7075 rail, I don't expect that these are also 7075.
    Last edited by Plasman; 09-09-15 at 17:53.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasman View Post
    Given the small increase in weight and looking at the Mega/Hodge 7075 rail, I don't expect that these are also 7075.
    The difference in density between 6061 and 7075 are pretty minimal; 0.072 oz. per cubic inch. So, it's possible in terms of raw weight, though looking at the cost, I think it's relatively safe to guess that it's a 6061 rail.

I do hope that they keep making the old Mg/Al rails, and yes, it would be neat for a 7075 version or even the new Li/Al stuff that Hodge is suppose to be using.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 09-09-15 at 18:11.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la męme chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    This is good to hear. I'm glad to see them releasing an all Alu version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nice. A bit cheaper and a little heavier than the magnesium KMR. So when can I order this new KMR Alpha rail?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    JD and Plasman,

Thanks for sharing. I've be curious as to what was going on with the KMR inventor. I just got my first SBR stamp and have been waiting for one the 11.5" ELW KMR uppers. This explains a lot.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Wow, $170 for the 7"?

This might actually be perfect for my M&P Sport. I love the KMR on my BCM, but I wasn't interested in putting $250 on top of a Sport... $170 is easier to swallow.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast