Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Why not use grease on ARs?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I know you mean well, but you are wasting time.

*Sigh* You're right
    Thanks for reality check
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-06-15 at 01:52.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    You know, in all these recent lube threads, the thing I'm not seeing is the problem that apparently needs solving?

What in the world is still up in the air about AR lube? Pick a decent oil, put some on the rifle, shoot it 1000 rounds or so, then add some more. It works. It's been working. It works so well, there is no need to wipe the thing down until you just feel like doing it.

To put grease, then add oil when the grease turns to tar, and then take it apart, wipe it down, and add more grease, makes no sense to me when I can just keep adding oil as-needed. If you've got oil going all over the place, you're either using Rem Oil or you've got too much on there to begin with. I've never opened up a safe to find a puddle of Slip 2K...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    You know, in all these recent lube threads, the thing I'm not seeing is the problem that apparently needs solving?

What in the world is still up in the air about AR lube? Pick a decent oil, put some on the rifle, shoot it 1000 rounds or so, then add some more. It works. It's been working. It works so well, there is no need to wipe the thing down until you just feel like doing it.

To put grease, then add oil when the grease turns to tar, and then take it apart, wipe it down, and add more grease, makes no sense to me when I can just keep adding oil as-needed. If you've got oil going all over the place, you're either using Rem Oil or you've got too much on there to begin with. I've never opened up a safe to find a puddle of Slip 2K...
    The grease doesn't turn to tar. At least not what I use.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I think that Mobil 1 is as good as Slip 2000. I think that Frog Lube and Fireclean make me roll my eyes (not that I don't have some of that stuff - one or the other, I forget which - sitting on my workbench). Otherwise, yeah...modern lubricants are such that, pretty much, oil is oil. Cars, boats, motorcycles, firearms. IMHO.

I'm not a fan of grease for firearms. I have some kind of red "firearms grease" sitting around in a little syringe thingy, but generally I think it's unnecessary and potentially counterproductive. I use WD40 as a water displacer and maybe a solvent, but not a lube.

Lubrication is easy to overthink...looking at any lubrication thread like this one on any forum will tell you that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I put Rem oil in the same category as 3-in-1 oil. A thin, non-persistent mineral oil that works fine for low-viscosity, low-heat, non-pressure applications like sewing machine etc. Firearms and automobiles...no way. In that sense, "oil is not oil". If we're talking modern lubricants with a modern additive package designed to withstand high-pressure, high-heat, good film strength, good shear stability such as in firearms and automobiles, then yes...IMHO "oil is oil".

I agree about comparing the violence of a firearm discharge to an automobile engine. I disagree about the superiority of synthetic oil in normal commercial use. Modern group II base stocks are close to synthetics in term of durability. The weak spot in any oil and the part offers shear stability is the additive package, notably the viscosity index improvers. As it was explained to me by a chemist at Lubrizol.
    Friction modifiers do allow you to tune the viscosity by reducing the viscosity of grease weight synthetics to give it a more oil-like quality. You don't find dino-based grease in modern differentials and transfer cases; the modifier gives the lubricant a property between oil and grease in viscosity and lubricity.

Synthetic also plates better than dino, and doesn't turn to water when heat is applied. All parts will function better and operate longer with an equal amount and weight of synthetic, because the molecules responsible for lubricity don't shear and break down nearly as fast.

I don't have a scientist I can wave around (not good for your back); just a calendar with years of experience racing various motorsports.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)

Why not use grease on ARs?

So TLDR; I need to quit using white lithium grease on my AKs or this only pertains to ARs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=HansTheHobbit;2189989]Like I said in my original explanation, that works with grease as well. I like to keep a little bottle of oil in my grip or stock for that very purpose. Sometimes at the range I'll need a little top off, and sometimes I forget to bring oil, hence keeping it on the rifle so I don't forget it...../QUOTE]

But You use oil for that purpose why bother with both Use one or the other..

I deal in logistics making things happen when and where things need to be to make other things downstream happen.

While your method works for a single person, in the real world it involves 2 different items, 2 different sets of instructions,,etc.. muliply that by thousands sounds like a total cluster..
    Apologies for the thread drift..

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Travelingchild;2190104]
    Quote Originally Posted by HansTheHobbit View Post
    Like I said in my original explanation, that works with grease as well. I like to keep a little bottle of oil in my grip or stock for that very purpose. Sometimes at the range I'll need a little top off, and sometimes I forget to bring oil, hence keeping it on the rifle so I don't forget it...../QUOTE]

But You use oil for that purpose why bother with both Use one or the other..

I deal in logistics making things happen when and where things need to be to make other things downstream happen.

While your method works for a single person, in the real world it involves 2 different items, 2 different sets of instructions,,etc.. muliply that by thousands sounds like a total cluster..
    Apologies for the thread drift..
    It's not that hard. 1 syringe of oil, 1 syringe of grease. Done.

I would say it's not rocket science, but if I did then someone would probably start a whole thing...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I have been using grease for years on the premise the grease stays put while oils run away. There are no doubt pros and cons to both and I am sure they have been discussed here before, but let's hear it.
    I've used grease before. TW-25 worked well through a 4 day 2k class. I purposely left it in the rain and other things during the class just to see. Most products would do that I would think.

I prefer oil because it's so quick to top off without disassembly, grease not so much. Using oil seems to keep things cleaner, or at least make them easier to clean if or when you were inclined.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 13mike View Post
    I've used grease before. TW-25 worked well through a 4 day 2k class. I purposely left it in the rain and other things during the class just to see. Most products would do that I would think.

I prefer oil because it's so quick to top off without disassembly, grease not so much. Using oil seems to keep things cleaner, or at least make them easier to clean if or when you were inclined.
    Same for me. If I'm inclined to oil, I just dribble some in and get back to work.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    The military does use TW-25 on the Bushmaster cannon and the MK19. We also used it on the M2 as well.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast