Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to building

Feedback Score

Cool New to building

Hey guys hows it going? Let me start off my saying I am new to the AR15 and whole firearm scene in general. But I decided maybe about a month ago to start putting time and money into building myself a rifle. I really want to get educated and learn more about everything. I have been looking a bit into short barrel rifles and MK18 builds and most likely that is something I am going to build. I have also found about half of the parts I will most likely be using for my build. I am having trouble find some parts that I want to use though, like the DD RIS II rail and I am also having trouble figuring out a good lower & upper. If you guys have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Also I apologize if this post is in the wrong section. If anyone has any questions for me I will be happy to answer to them. Peace.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are you up on the NFA laws & all that it entails to own an SBR?
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    You are going from 0-60 in about a 1/10th of a second by being new to ARs and jumping right into the NFA game. Its cool that you want to do it, but I would recommend getting a good basic AR (Colt 6920 et al), shoot that first to see what you like and don't like, and go from there. If you still want to build, just read and search here a bunch there is more than enough information to make an informed decision.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LTMattyL View Post
    You are going from 0-60 in about a 1/10th of a second by being new to ARs and jumping right into the NFA game. Its cool that you want to do it, but I would recommend getting a good basic AR (Colt 6920 et al), shoot that first to see what you like and don't like, and go from there. If you still want to build, just read and search here a bunch there is more than enough information to make an informed decision.
    Agree, buy a basic AR like a colt, Bushmaster or Armalite- Go shoot and get familiar with the platform. You will most likely modify to some degree like adding a grip, stock, rail and flash hider. This will give you "some" experience. I wouldn't start out with a stripped lower. And jumping straight into NFA territory might overwhelm you. Welcome to the sport/hobby though! Your going to have a lot of fun.
    Last edited by elephant; 10-05-15 at 00:05.

Feedback Score
    Forgot to recommend to take a basic carbine class. That is probably the most important if you want to really understand how the platform works. It will help you understand what you actually want to do you with your AR, what accessories you want/don't want, and maybe avoid the huge box of random unused parts that a lot of us have (looking at you AFG and stupidly long tango down vertical grip).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    OP, Have you posted this request in other AR-15 forums? There are a few out there so that you can get a consensus in building your perfect AR-15.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    You have it all wrong....

- First you must decide which lube you're going to use. I mean this is some def con 7 important shit for you to determine.

Hold on, scratch that....

- First you must decide if you're going to use grease. Then you've got to decide which grease.

Wait I'm sorry....

- First thing you've got to do is decide if you're going to use WD-40. Do you like WD40, love WD40, or ever sniffed WD40?

Have you used gun lube, grease, or WD40 for anything other than their intended purpose

Lives are at stake here

start your research here https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?9-NFA
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    Would not recommend an SBR for a first AR15.

A rifle with a 16" barrel is still very short and will do anything you're likely to ever ask of it. Get a Colt 6920 and don't look back.
    Don't be tempted to start swapping parts out because you want to keep up with the guys on the forum. Shoot it for a couple months, then see what you want to change.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    You have it all wrong....

- First you must decide which lube you're going to use. I mean this is some def con 7 important shit for you to determine.

Hold on, scratch that....

- First you must decide if you're going to use grease. Then you've got to decide which grease.

Wait I'm sorry....

- First thing you've got to do is decide if you're going to use WD-40. Do you like WD40, love WD40, or ever sniffed WD40?

Have you used gun lube, grease, or WD40 for anything other than their intended purpose

Lives are at stake here

start your research here https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?9-NFA
    LOL, Im scared to death to mention WD40 on this forum

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can find a ris II in the ee here or on other forums but expect to pay $400 + for it
    Last edited by Brassnbullets; 10-05-15 at 19:33.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast