Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 Blackout build with Troy PDW stock... how reliable is iths?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

300 Blackout build with Troy PDW stock... how reliable is iths?

Will this work?

Novekse lower with Troy PDW stock kit and proprietary boltcarrier/buffer.

VLTOR upper with Noveske 8.5" 300 blackout barrel (pistol gas system)

Shot suppressed using subsonics.

According to Novekse on their barrel and it's gas system
    (This one here)

http://www.noveske.com/collections/b...lackout-barrel

Noveske says this

Noveske’s 300 AAC BLACKOUT is designed to run optimally firing both subsonic suppressed and supersonic unsuppressed. This barrel is tuned to lock back on the last round using subsonic 220 and 208 grain ammunition with a sound suppressor. The firearm may not lock back with subsonic 220 and 208 grain ammunition without a sound suppressor. Also, the subsonic 300 BLK ammunition is more susceptible to a malfunction due to carbon fouling and adverse conditions than supersonic ammunition. The barrel is tuned to operate correctly with the back pressure provided by the AAC 762-SDN-6 using an H2 buffer, or a Surefire 762K suppressor and an H buffer. In the development of this barrel, we found evidence that the suppressor may require a symmetrical baffle stack as found in the AAC Cyclone K, 762-SDN6, and Surefire 762K suppressor. Suppressors which cause off axis turbulence, such as those with K type baffles, may cause baffle strikes and/or point of impact shift, and may damage your suppressor. Noveske Rifleworks LLC will not be responsible for damage or injury under ANY circumstances. Consult you suppressor manufacturer to determine if your suppressor is suitable for this application.

Troy only says that their PDW stock kit was tested on both 5.56 and 300 blackout setups.

I called Troy today and asked them if they could give any more specifics on their 300 blackout testing and whether they had any data on comparing their proprietary BCG/buffer combo to an H or an H2 buffer setup in a standard configuration.

The tech rep said that they really did not have that sort of data however one of the gun setups they did find that worked best in their testing for 300 blackout was a 10.5" barrel setup He also said they tested other setups and barrel lengths had good results however the 10.5" worked best. He did say that other setups in shorter barrel configurations did work as well but did not have all that specific data nor would/could they get that specific as their are so many different manufacturers and setup types out there.

So my plan is/was.

Shooting subsonics suppressed through this 8.5" noveske barrel with either an SDN-6 (first choice if I can help it) or the Surfire 762k with the Troy PDW stock... and/or shooting supersonic loads without the can.

But I was wondering if this setup would work and be reliable for both suppressed and suppressed shooting.

I have seen a couple people running the blackout SBR builds with the Troy stock but was wondering how they were working out.

Currently looking at other options, Noveske never seems to be making SBR complete 300 blk uppers anymore, and the only barrels they have are the 8.5"ers, and AAC never has any of their factory 9" uppers in stock and KAC stopped making their SR30 uppers and the ones still out there are hard to find/expensive.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are enough variables here that I would punt and get an adjustable gas block. Look at a few of the things that have to work right together right out of the box: barrel length, barrel gas port size, ammo type, suppressor back pressure, buffer, and buffer spring. And that's not even considering any unanticipated behavior from the PDW system.

Worst case you may need to adjust the gas block for suppressed vs. no suppressor and some types of ammo.

My $.02.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Here is my noveske 8.5, aero upper lower/lower, and gem-tech 300 can. It has run like a champ with 187, 208, and 220's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    nice build, thanks for the replies.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I would higly recomend checking out the ARC Stock from MVB Industries - https://mvbindustries.com/product/arc-stock/

Works with YOUR Bolt Carrier. I think its a far better product than the Troy option.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    To build that sbr you must have a set of huevos! ;-)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I would higly recomend checking out the ARC Stock from MVB Industries - https://mvbindustries.com/product/arc-stock/

Works with YOUR Bolt Carrier. I think its a far better product than the Troy option.
    The button placement does look better positioned than the troy, looks pretty short though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That ARC stock looks pretty cool and I do like how you can use a standard BCG and buffer.
    The issue is, is that I already have the Troy PDW stock. I had gotten one earlier to try out on a 5.56 SBR I already have but for varying reasons i ended up on installed on another SBR'd lower I have for a 300 blackout gun. Obviously I can swap out the stock but while it's already on I was curious about the viability of just leaving it on.
    Last edited by TACAV; 10-09-15 at 01:34.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post

I'm currently indecisive when it comes to the stock I want to add to my 9" .300 SBR. It's really boiled down to two options: The LWRC UCIW (already own) and the MVP ARC stock. The ARC cost significantly more, lacks a good cheek weld and the stock rails themselves may prove to be less durable than a conventional RE. However, I just can't get past how awesome it looks. Yeah, yeah... I know. Form follows function. But part of the appeal is having that ultra-slick PDW look.
    Last edited by Boba Fett v2; 10-14-15 at 18:35. Reason: grammatical shit
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    I'm currently indecisive when it comes to the stock I want to add to my 9" .300 SBR. It's really boiled down to two options: The LWRC UCIW (already own) and the MVP ARC stock. The ARC cost significantly more, lacks a good cheek weld and the stock rails themselves may prove to be less durable than a conventional RE. However, I just can't get past how awesome it looks. Yeah, yeah... I know. Form follows function. But part of the appeal is having that ultra-slick PDW look.
    Take a look and the CMT (cross machine tool) UHP15 PDW stock. It has a good cheek weld, no need for proprietary bolt, and is fully ambi. If have one that is awaiting Form 1 stamp and will eventually go with a 9" 300blk out upper. I emailed CMT and they say that it will run 300blk just fine.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast