Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tactical/Hunting bolt gun

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This is something I've been interested in as well but in 308 with an 18" barrel. I know Christensen arms offers carbon fiber bolt guns that are stupid light. I know many think of there ARs as overly expensive cosmetics and I agree with that sentiment but I can't really find any good info on there bolt guns. I came across a 308 20" barreled one for $2300 and it felt stupid good. The action felt like glass rails and the trigger was crisp and light. I would have picked it up but I never could find any quality info on it and I didn't feel like taking a risk on an unknown.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think you should look at a Bartlien light palma 24" barrel, a <24" barrel would hurt your velocity too much. It's still a heavier barrel than stock.The 6.5 creedmoor is a tack driver in most of the guns I have seen. Everything from a savage, ruger, or a custom. You are not going to loose much in velocity and still be able to reach 1k easy. Do not discount Alum chassis either, I have found that when looking at weight savings they are hard to beat. The bottom line is almost any configuration will do the job. Tikka actions have great reviews out of the box, while rem actions need a bit of work which can be done over time and have the most aftermarket support. If you are leaning towards tikka, go squeeze the trigger a few times to make sure you are going to like the pull. You may find that you need less to do what you are contemplating. What kind of bottom metal are you wanting ?

Feedback Score
    if you want the best of both worlds and you have the budget. get the Extreme Hunter from GA Precision. you will have to roll your own for ammo until Hornady releases their brass for the SAUM. but a lot of guys are using theirs ad a hunting rig and then for tactical shoots. it's a tack driver and will push well past 1,000 yards.

The Creedmoor is a sweet little round, tough to beat it if you don't plan on going past 1200 or so. easy to find ammo. but if you want a nice performer that everyone will want to touch, Extreme Hunter.

but the Tikka action is nicer than the Remington for sure.
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson1911 View Post
    I think you should look at a Bartlien light palma 24" barrel, a <24" barrel would hurt your velocity too much. It's still a heavier barrel than stock.The 6.5 creedmoor is a tack driver in most of the guns I have seen. Everything from a savage, ruger, or a custom. You are not going to loose much in velocity and still be able to reach 1k easy. Do not discount Alum chassis either, I have found that when looking at weight savings they are hard to beat. The bottom line is almost any configuration will do the job. Tikka actions have great reviews out of the box, while rem actions need a bit of work which can be done over time and have the most aftermarket support. If you are leaning towards tikka, go squeeze the trigger a few times to make sure you are going to like the pull. You may find that you need less to do what you are contemplating. What kind of bottom metal are you wanting ?
    Don't know much about the various bottom metals. As long as it has I detachable magazine I'll be giddy.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    [QUOTE=waveslayer;

but the Tikka action is nicer than the Remington for sure.[/QUOTE]

I am curious. There are not any tikkas at the local gunshop here. For the people that like them, what makes them better than say a Stiller or Defiant ? I can understand them being better than a stock remmy. I guess I am asking if you would choose a tikka over a custom rem action, and if so why ?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson1911 View Post
    I am curious. There are not any tikkas at the local gunshop here. For the people that like them, what makes them better than say a Stiller or Defiant ? I can understand them being better than a stock remmy. I guess I am asking if you would choose a tikka over a custom rem action, and if so why ?
    not better than a Stiller by any means. price my friend. you can buy the Stiller of Defiant and pay over a grand or get a action from a Tikka that you sell off for a few hundred bucks..

Tikka compared to Remington is the throw and smoothness. much smoother, better trigger as well, not a recalled X Mark pro crap.

Much smoother and throws better. I have a Remington, not as smooth to man handle it. my brother's Tikka is smooth as snot. but using a custom action that my buddy has... no comparison. but for a factory stock action Tikka is king
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
    not better than a Stiller by any means. price my friend. you can buy the Stiller of Defiant and pay over a grand or get a action from a Tikka that you sell off for a few hundred bucks..

Tikka compared to Remington is the throw and smoothness. much smoother, better trigger as well, not a recalled X Mark pro crap.

Much smoother and throws better. I have a Remington, not as smooth to man handle it. my brother's Tikka is smooth as snot. but using a custom action that my buddy has... no comparison. but for a factory stock action Tikka is king
    It doesn't need to be blueprinted as its already machined well and squared from the factory, also it is stronger as the ejection port is small. That's what I've gathered from my research thus far.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by graffex View Post
    I'm definitely gonna get rebarreled for 6.5 creedmoor so barrel length will be up to me. I plan on shit canning the stock and barrel so shouldn't I just get the cheapest model?
    If your budget is tight, then why scrap much of a new gun?

Why not just buy a 6.5 with a decent stock?

Have you looked at the new Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5?

I don't have an RPR, but if it had been available when I bought my Savage last Spring, then I'd have considered it...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'd check around the classifieds on some long gun specific sites like SH. You can find killer deals on excellent guns.

I went the route of buying a stock 700 and replacing parts, now the only thing I have left is the original receiver. For what I've got into it I could've bought a custom rifle or an AI. If you know a factory rifle won't be good enough, just save for a while and buy exactly what you want.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Competition Machine Inc has a cool hunting chassis for the Tikka T3. It takes AICS mags too. Cool system. www.gotxring.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast