Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acog mounted farther out question

Feedback Score

Acog mounted farther out question

Hey fellas

I've been messing around with different solutions for close fire with a TA31

Rmr on top... Just too awkward and kept hitting my forehead on the thing

Offset irons... Good concept but limited in odd angle shots

Anyway I tried mounting the optic farther away from the eye.. One slot from farthest out on the receiver stock 3 clicks back. It seems to cancel out some of the magnification enough for rds like snapshots while still enough view longer range.

May be a silly question but I'm determined to make this optic work I've tried them all from aimpoints to Elcans and I love the ta31. Looking for the best compromise close/long range

Anyone else tried and tested this and noticed any pros or cons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by boombotz401; 10-05-15 at 17:27.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Magnified optics have a set eye relief. That's just the way it is. Trying to utilize one where your eye is not at the proper distance from the ocular lens will be difficult and will not yield the best results. Put it where it needs to be for proper eye relief and practice with it until you're comfortable with using it up close.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Just got mine out, and doing it the way you describe I can't get enough FOV to make me happy.

Using it normally, I literally have to get the eye relief so close that it tickles my eyelashes to get the full FOV. Sounds like yo need a good 1-4 imo.

My setup:

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone

Feedback Score

I have thought about a 1-4 and will be putting an accupoint on another carbine at some point but I'm determined to master the Acog first lol. I've had it for a good while but only recently have I tried to push speed from it

Thanks...scanning weak eye up close and taking quick shots is fast but we're I'm slowing down is raising the rifle up with the target already in sight for a quick snap shot

Seemed when I raised it up quick the chevron was there without the 4x but when I went NTCH the fov was there. Weird to explain but is almost like I can cancel out the 4x when I want this way

Looking at google images it seemed some guys were holding way past eye relief in the field and I just wondering if there was any warrant to that

Last edited by boombotz401; 10-05-15 at 17:57.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How close is close? My carbine/TA-31 setup really shines from 25-200 yards, but I have found that- with practice- I can reliably shoulder my 16" barrel carbine and acquire targets as close as 7 yards as fast as I can with irons. I just keep both eyes open and have no problems, even when shooting from a covered firing line into full sun. I have found that my performance behind the TA-31 is sensitive to stock adjustment in that it effects eye position, but having found a stock setting that works, I am loving my TA-31/carbine target setup.
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 10-05-15 at 18:25.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    Close as 10-30 yards

Anything under that I consider point and shoot, setup the right way I think it has the potential to be very fast

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Having been using the ACOG for several years, my issue was always with the optic being mounted too far forward. The KRAM from Macedon Defense solves that issue for me and allows me to also have a rear BUIS mounted.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boombotz401 View Post
    Close as 10-30 yards

Anything under that I consider point and shoot, setup the right way I think it has the potential to be very fast

Set it up with proper eye relief, train, and you should be good to go.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    Has anyone tried the gg&g accuccam mount? I would hate to replace my larue mount but I have thought about flipping the cover when I know I'm doing extended close range shooting.... Having just the front quick cover would super impose the Chevron eliminate any possibility of washout and literally be rds fast.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    How close is close? My carbine/TA-31 setup really shines from 25-200 yards, but I have found that- with practice- I can reliably shoulder my 16" barrel carbine and acquire targets as close as 7 yards as fast as I can with irons. I just keep both eyes open and have no problems, even when shooting from a covered firing line into full sun. I have found that my performance behind the TA-31 is sensitive to stock adjustment in that it effects eye position, but having found a stock setting that works, I am loving my TA-31/carbine target setup.
    This is my experience as well. My other rifles I slide the stock out as far as it will go. With the ACOG mounted, I've found two clicks off of fully collapsed give proper eye relief when shouldering the rifle quickly.

Sent from my iPhone
    Last edited by JC5188; 10-06-15 at 03:59.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast