Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RMR not for me.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)

RMR not for me.

I added a Trijicon RMR to my Glock 17 and I found that it is harder to find the dot and line up to a target than it is with the OEM sights. I feel like I have to play around with the gun and the angle that I'm holding it and its like it adds a few seconds to my overall time to get my gun on point. Anyone else have this issue? Maybe I'm not use to this setup on a pistol or it could be a muscle memory issue that is too foreign to me. I would like some advice on working with the RMR or a technique that might improve my response time.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    I added a Trijicon RMR to my Glock 17 and I found that it is harder to find the dot and line up to a target than it is with the OEM sights. I feel like I have to play around with the gun and the angle that I'm holding it and its like it adds a few seconds to my overall time to get my gun on point. Anyone else have this issue? Maybe I'm not use to this setup on a pistol or it could be a muscle memory issue that is too foreign to me. I would like some advice on working with the RMR or a technique that might improve my response time.
    Mount it on a shotgun.

Feedback Score

It takes some getting used to, I have a Glock 19 with an RMR milled into the slide. Took me a couple months of shooting and dry fire to get better then I was with straight irons. After I got used to it there is no way I would go back.

Make sure you have back up irons on it (suppressor sights) then practice drawing/shooting just looking for the iron sight not searching for the red dot. Once you find the front sight the red dot will be right there. There is lot of info out there getting used to it learning how to use a red dot.

http://reddotglocks.com/difference-b...t-systems.html this site is a good place to start also http://modernserviceweapons.com/ has a bunch of articles on red dot pistols.

Don't give up on it yet. It takes some adaption.

Feedback Score
    Just a lot of dry presentations, really. But then you run into issues of the RMR slowing down your splits, after you master the draw. Overall, the RMR will be slower than irons when shooting at <25 yards. For decent, but not amazing shooters, this isn't necessarily a big deal, as the improved accuracy that results from the red dot can help even things out, but for the top tier shooters, irons are probably going to have the advantage, though it's more due to the ability to track the front sight through recoil than anything to do with the presentation. For inexperienced shooters with no developed index, a red dot can be rather... glacial, even if it does help their accuracy (assuming no anticipation response).

You could try putting in a high viz front sight and just trying to get a proper sight picture with the irons, and pick up the dot that way, near the end of the presentation, rather than directly hunting for the dot. A laser can also give a decent reference point, IME.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I have been shooting an M&P with a RDS for many, many years. Here is the list of positives:

1. Great in low/no light.
    2. Great at shooting on the move (at a stationary target).
    3. Great at shooting on the move (at a moving target).
    4. Great at distance shooting (25yds and beyond).
    5. Great for people with eye sight issues.

In order to be proficient with them, your natural point of aim has to be shifted (to pick up the dot). Most people that are trying to shoot fast from the draw, just use their irons and then pick up the dot in the 2nd or 3rd round.

For ME, I have come the realization that I do much better (at speed) with just a suppressor height fiber optic front sight and NO rear. At 7-10yds, I really only need a front sight to get accurate hits from the draw. The fiber is a different color than my dot is (so I pick it up faster). In this setup, I have found that my draw stroke speed is nearly identical to what it normally was without the RDS.

YMMV

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How did you have your RMR mounted to your 17 ?
    If your slide is not milled then you can't have cowitnessed suppressor sights.
    The sights help me find the dot faster.

Feedback Score
    I have a lot of brief experiences with running other guys RDS weapons, however I have not yet got into a dedicated one of my own. I own a couple RDS that are still in the box waiting to do one and since I am a fan of the Glock, with the Glock they now make it easier for me. So why haven't I dove into the deep end? For exactly the reasons stated. It does have the exact pro's and con's mentioned in the thread. For myself the con's right now outweigh the pro's. Perhaps when I have more time to play with it, but I am not too sure that I will ever make the full transition. But I tend to never say never and I don't always say always.

Feedback Score
    yes it happens a lot depending on your draw and presentation. it takes some getting used to. if it's mounted a tad higher then you will be trying to find it, higher then the stock sights that is. also it's a good indicator of how level your gun is when pointing it. I dry practice a lot and found that it helped to ensure proper alignment of the sights to my eyes. takes some time for sure. also you can try a larger red dot...

or mount it on a shotgun.
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    you be hunting for it because your draw stroke most likely is not flat
    STEVE FISHER
    INSTRUCTOR
    Sentinel Concepts

Consultant for
    Trijicon
    midwest industries
    Nighthawk custom firearms

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    you be hunting for it because your draw stroke most likely is not flat
    I meant to say exactly what Steve says here when I read your post Elephant.

Have you ever taken formal instruction for handgun shooting?
    Nobody ever got shot climbing over the wall into East Berlin.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast