Thread: Best Folding Stock for 870?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Best Folding Stock for 870?

The 11-87 semi-auto I got last fall for 3-gun matches has served that role well. I sure miss though, the satisfying KA-CHUNK of it's predecessor, an 870 pump (that foolishly I have since sold). Am thinking about getting another.

This time, the role would be as a bigger-than-a-pistol truck gun for SHTF purposes. Portability/stowability would be a significant issue, hence the subject question.

I'm picturing the HD model that features a plain bead-sighted 18-inch barrel. In addition to a folding stock, I would likely equip with a pistol grip and side-saddle shell carrier to complete the package.

I've read that Remington makes an overfolding stock, which appeals to me in some regards, but that it doesn't work very well in shooting. I've also heard that Choate makes something -- haven't yet looked into that.

Any recommendations? Pics welcomed -- thanks.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I don't like shotgun stocks that fold.

I do like collapsible stocks for shotguns.

The two I'd recommend are the Knoxx and the Mesa Tactical mount using the Enidine receiver extension and a VLTOR E-MOD stock. The Mesa/Enidine/VLTOR combo will be the most expensive.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I don't like shotgun stocks that fold.......
    What's the problem? Tight enough lock-up? Not enough recoil absorbtion?

Collapsible would be more compact than fixed, but still bulkier than folding.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscot View Post
    What's the problem? Tight enough lock-up? Not enough recoil absorbtion?

Collapsible would be more compact than fixed, but still bulkier than folding.
    Typically they're very uncomfortable for shooting. The Remington brand top folder is cool if you never shoot with it extended.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Typically they're very uncomfortable for shooting. The Remington brand top folder is cool if you never shoot with it extended.
    Well I'd want something I could actually shoot with a reasonable degree of comfort......for a 12-gauge that is.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'v seen guys that looked like they got beat with the stock after shooting it.
    The old top folder was bad for cracking at the pivot. The new one is made by ATI. I wouldn't trust anything from ATI.
    Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.