Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Folding Stock for 870?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Best Folding Stock for 870?

The 11-87 semi-auto I got last fall for 3-gun matches has served that role well. I sure miss though, the satisfying KA-CHUNK of it's predecessor, an 870 pump (that foolishly I have since sold). Am thinking about getting another.

This time, the role would be as a bigger-than-a-pistol truck gun for SHTF purposes. Portability/stowability would be a significant issue, hence the subject question.

I'm picturing the HD model that features a plain bead-sighted 18-inch barrel. In addition to a folding stock, I would likely equip with a pistol grip and side-saddle shell carrier to complete the package.

I've read that Remington makes an overfolding stock, which appeals to me in some regards, but that it doesn't work very well in shooting. I've also heard that Choate makes something -- haven't yet looked into that.

Any recommendations? Pics welcomed -- thanks.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I don't like shotgun stocks that fold.

I do like collapsible stocks for shotguns.

The two I'd recommend are the Knoxx and the Mesa Tactical mount using the Enidine receiver extension and a VLTOR E-MOD stock. The Mesa/Enidine/VLTOR combo will be the most expensive.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    I don't like shotgun stocks that fold.......
    What's the problem? Tight enough lock-up? Not enough recoil absorbtion?

Collapsible would be more compact than fixed, but still bulkier than folding.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscot View Post
    What's the problem? Tight enough lock-up? Not enough recoil absorbtion?

Collapsible would be more compact than fixed, but still bulkier than folding.
    Typically they're very uncomfortable for shooting. The Remington brand top folder is cool if you never shoot with it extended.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    Typically they're very uncomfortable for shooting. The Remington brand top folder is cool if you never shoot with it extended.
    Well I'd want something I could actually shoot with a reasonable degree of comfort......for a 12-gauge that is.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'v seen guys that looked like they got beat with the stock after shooting it.
    The old top folder was bad for cracking at the pivot. The new one is made by ATI. I wouldn't trust anything from ATI.
    Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Check out the Knoxx stocks. I believe Remington now sells an 870 direct with this stock. It has a recoil reduction system built in that works when shooting both folded and unfolded. I'm planning on ordering one soon for my Winchester. Check out the vids on their site to see how it works on knoxx.com.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...0_tactical.asp
    ^The pic on bottom is the one with the Knoxx folder and looks to be what you're looking for.

Feedback Score
    I've got a Remington top-folder, and I think it's cats @$$! I shoot better with it than the wood stock that came with it. I've dumped allot of ammo through it with no prob. Mine says "Law Enforcement Use Only" on the side of it. Personally I think it's perfect. I got mine off of Ebay, when they still allowed guns stuff about 6 yrs. ago. Never regretted that purchase.

Feedback Score
    blackscot, I have a Choate top folding stock for an 870 and I am very happy with it. It's not that comfortable to shoot with but, it serves its purpose well.

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_pa...4&NewProduct=0

I wanted it for portability reasons, and I wanted something strong that locks up solid. It's great in all of those areas. But one thing I remember is that I had to send it back to have it modified for the 870 I am using it on. I can't remember the details but, I'm sure Choate will know if you call them. They were familiar with the problem (and modified it for free) when I got it a few years ago.

When I was looking at folding stocks before, I remember that I thought a lot of them were not that strong. I didn't break any but when I handled them, I didn't have a lot of confidence in them. I don't think they would break under regular shooting but, if it's a truck gun, it's something for you to consider.

I've shot with mine and can gets good accurate hits with no problems. But, I would never want to use it for extended shooting sessions or in a match.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    Have Mesa w/Enidine on my 18-in. duty gun. Not much drop to stock for use with bead.

Too, it's collapsed length is just barely shorter than the Hogue Bantam I have on an SBS.

If you are talking Katrina-esque, a fixed stock doesn't take up too much space in a trunk and it's easier to shoot after you get it out.

My experience with on-duty SHTF is you don't have time to get a long gun out of the trunk. Needs to be up front where you can grab it.

We've had about three cases in the last couple years where officers' ability to address a threat was less-than-ideal because they'd been told by someone it was dangerous to have their SG up front "in case of a wreck." Bad guys have been extremely happy with that decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast