Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: OLYARMS 9mm Carbine / Glock Mag model

Feedback Score
    Paul45,
    I would like to thank you for taking the time to ask about a problem and take steps to learn about it and fix it. In the process I have learned a lot by reading others posts. Also, it would have been easy for you to just post that Oly was crap and leave it at that, but you went the extra mile and educated at least me. Now I have changed my mind and am now looking at Oly.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Hallboss; 11-17-08 at 00:39.
    Retired Tracy Police Department-D-tac instructor

Feedback Score
    I realize that I'm getting into this a little late, but... I have a 10.5" Oly 9mm upper on a PWA lower; I bought the upper used. It uses unmodified Sten mags with a mag block. One thing that I really like about this design is that it doesn't require any other caliber-specific parts like hammers or buffers - the lower is essentially in box-stock .223 configuration. I haven't shot it a great deal, and it's 8,000 miles away at the moment so it won't be fired again for a while.

To date, I have about 500 rounds through it, and have only had problems with one Sten mag. It has functioned flawlessly otherwise with my handloads consisting of a Rainier 115 grain FMJHP and a healthy does of Winchester Action Pistol powder, which has been discontinued. Ammo was loaded with standard RCBS dies, bullet seated and taper crimped in separate steps. I haven't tried any cast bullets yet, but that is on the agenda.

I have had maybe 5 FTFs, and all were traced to that single magazine. The only other problems that I've heard of with these guns is that the ejector is subject to breakage. I plan to shoot the bejeezus out of this gun once I return to the States, and I'll be anxious to see how reliable it is.
    "This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok." Matthew Quigley, Quigley Down Under

Feedback Score
    Put another 300+ rounds thru it yesterday - no issues. It appears that the polishing really helped. I am going to re-try the WW white box stuff that appeared to be causing the problems. I now have a base line - over 500 rounds without an issue - no WW.
    The only thing I don't like is this blow back design gets DIRTY! Real Dirty! It's not difficult to clean, just a pain to have to soak the BCG and spray out the upper and lower. It has unburnt powder, carbon, brass and other miscellanious junk. Dirtiest gun I have to shoot. Plus being a lefty, I get blow back in my face. I hope Stag develops a left hand pistol caliber upper.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456