Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who uses suppressed weapons for home defense setups?

Feedback Score

Who uses suppressed weapons for home defense setups?

It would seem as though the confines of a house would be extremely detrimental to one's ears once shots start going off. Not to mention the muzzle flash of a weapon being rather disorienting in the dark. I certainly wouldn't want to be deaf and blind if I managed to miss due to adrenaline or what have you and then be handicapped for my follow-up shot. Does anyone use cans for their bedside pistol or wall rifle?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm building one now, for the reasons you suggested. Mine will be my only defensive-purposed AR, so it's an 11.5" barrel with Omega can. If I was getting a gun specifically for HD use, I'd be considering a 10.5" barrel with reflex can to chop 4" more off. It would be louder, but still much better than a 14.5" or 16" carbine with flash hider.

There are a bunch of threads on the topic. Some harp on the idea that a prosecutor might jump all over any NFA item being used in a defensive shoot. If someone is in your house, and you get a light on them and ID them as a weapon-pointing BG, I think that's a moot point.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For rifles, there isn't anything I wouldn't use with a suppressor if they were such a damn hassle to buy. So, suppressors are out in priority weapons.
    Nobody ever got shot climbing over the wall into East Berlin.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    I have an Osprey on a HK USP 45 with night sights. I also have something else and I think the 2 work hand in hand with each other.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    8.25" 300blk with Omega on bedside rifle for this very purpose. I'll do my part to keep my family hearing me for instructions if such an unlikely event did occur.

Of course bad guy will be loud if he gets shots off.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I can argue both side on this one, with some experience to draw from. Sample size of 1, but high degree of relevance.

First, I don't have a can and did not use one in the HD shooting I was involved in. Second, my ears rang, but I have no lasting damage. I also recall being able to hear well enough to communicate without difficulty. Third, it takes many many months to get your gear back, even after a justified shoot. I don't like being without my rifle that long and I sure as hell would hate to have my can held hostage along with the host.

With that said, my dog was deaf for about 7 days after the shooting before it started to come back for her. Felt pretty bad about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zk556x45 View Post
    I can argue both side on this one, with some experience to draw from. Sample size of 1, but high degree of relevance.

First, I don't have a can and did not use one in the HD shooting I was involved in. Second, my ears rang, but I have no lasting damage. I also recall being able to hear well enough to communicate without difficulty. Third, it takes many many months to get your gear back, even after a justified shoot. I don't like being without my rifle that long and I sure as hell would hate to have my can held hostage along with the host.

With that said, my dog was deaf for about 7 days after the shooting before it started to come back for her. Felt pretty bad about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Details, you can't drive by post like that and not give details.

I have 10.5 SBR with a can as my hd weapon.

Feedback Score
    I have fired my weapon in buildings, and from within a vehicle before. Damn loud. At home I keep both a handgun and an AR SBR at the ready. I will have a can for them both one day.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    PM if you have questions, bro. Not posting details here, beyond this: 16" middy, 55g FMJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Can on both handgun and sbr in the house.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast