Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who uses suppressed weapons for home defense setups?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Unsuppressed 10.5" AR for HD here. I do have a suppressed 10.5 too, but I like the shorter gun with no can. Granted the windows will blow out and the paint will peel off the walls.

Suppressed ARs are pretty loud indoors too. Trapping that supersonic crack in a structure is not like shooting on the range.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Unsuppressed 10.5" AR for HD here. I do have a suppressed 10.5 too, but I like the shorter gun with no can. Granted the windows will blow out and the paint will peel off the walls.

Suppressed ARs are pretty loud indoors too. Trapping that supersonic crack in a structure is not like shooting on the range.
    Isn't the muzzle flash disorienting as well? In the dark and inside?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Muzzle flash is entirely ammo dependent. I don't run ammo that will flash badly out of an SBR. In my experience, when shooting in low light, it's the muzzle smoke that annoys me more than flash.

But as far as muzzle flash... if you run something nasty like XM193, yes... muzzle flash will be an issue.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Muzzle flash is entirely ammo dependent. I don't run ammo that will flash badly out of an SBR. In my experience, when shooting in low light, it's the muzzle smoke that annoys me more than flash.

But as far as muzzle flash... if you run something nasty like XM193, yes... muzzle flash will be an issue.
    Dumb question, what causes more or less flash in ammo

Feedback Score
    My first child and first suppressor came around the same time, and I think they are connected. Gotta protect the chitlins! My HD AR has a SF SOCOM RC. As of now it is on a 14.5'' (non NFA).

Touching one off (without even considering self defense issues) in a hallway is a scary thought in terms of hearing damage/loss alone. My standoff position in a "I know they are coming/ alarm is going off" scenario is a strategic position defending a hallway that separates the bedroom side of the house vs the rest. I remember getting placed at an indoor range against the far right wall with a 16'' AR with battlecomp. It wasn't fun even with earplugs. Now imagine a sheetrock ceiling that is 4 feet lower, and another sheetrock wall to the left, and with tile floor. That might rock some socks off. I'm happy with the added length and weight of the suppressor.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Temporary hearing impairment is likely but nothing permanent. Hearing loss is cumulative. You won't go deaf from a couple of indoor gunshots, nor will your dogs, cats, or children. I'd be more concerned about the possibility of disorientation on the part of the shooter from the gunshot noise and the muzzle flash. That's going to affect some people more than others, especially when added to the adrenaline surge but for most people it's not likely to be a big deal.

Having said that, I think a suppressor would be a great thing for most rifles, especially indoor rifles, and I'd get suppressors for mine if it wasn't so expensive and such a hassle. As it is, for me, my SBRs are all locked up in the gun cabinet and play no role in my home defense planning, such as it is. In my life, the likelihood of home defense is so low that I don't indulge in that particular fantasy, and suppressors are way down my priority list. Good ear protection is a far more cost-effective plan for me.

YMMV

Last edited by Hmac; 10-19-15 at 04:38.

Feedback Score
    Based on what I have seen (in non HD scenarios) the noise will be canceled by your near auditory exclusion and the flash (load dependent, as stated above) should be negated by you white lighting the unwelcome intruder. Those things said, live fire inside a structure is different and a suppressor does help considerably.

The 50 odd decibel difference is more pronounced indoors (to me, anyway). This could be because I'm always standing next to other guys shooting other SBR's and the pressure waves (without the cans fixed) feels like a mild TBI inducing donkey kick.

Clearing your home with the extra length: I personally don't have a problem with longer barrels and clearing a structure. I'll qualify that by adding..."barrel length within reason". A few years ago we went through a spate of failures with our Mk. 18's and I blamed the shortened gas systems and the resulting mechanical violence imposed on the system. We trained with a partner branch's M4's and I saw little difference in handling capability/characteristics. Now, if you live on a ship....things change. Get as short a rifle as you can manage...

BTW: We ended up keeping the violent little donkey rifle (Mk18)...and I still hate it.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    My HD rifle is an 8.5" 300 SBR wearing an Omega. My next big purchase will be a pistol can and a suppressor ready CZ P09 for HD. I do keep the 300 loaded with barnes 110 gr, but it'll still be a lot quieter and less flash than without the can.

Feedback Score
    I am not against it if that is your choice and it is indeed a good option, however there are many who have been in enclosed spaces or in close confines with others when things got spontaneously loud and had no effects to their hearing or vision, both during the encounter and after. Not saying it isn't a variable and cannot happen because anything can happen, but don't overthink it. If you want it great, if not don't sweat it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Can't think of a good reason to not use a suppressor for HD...

Unless maybe you're HD is a 16".

Adrenaline does not prevent concussion from rupturing your tympanic membrane(s).
    Last edited by scooter22; 10-19-15 at 13:53.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast