Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who uses suppressed weapons for home defense setups?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Can't think of a good reason to not use a suppressor for HD...

Unless maybe you're HD is a 16".

Adrenaline does not prevent concussion from rupturing your tympanic membrane(s).
    Unlikely that a gunshot would rupture your eardrum.

I can think of at least a few good reasons to not use a suppressor, including cost and inconvenience of the NFA process.
    Last edited by Hmac; 10-19-15 at 14:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use a can on my 11.5" for HD but I find myself wondering if the added length and weight is worth the trade off with lessened sound & flash. Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by TraumaPlateDuctTape View Post
    Dumb question, what causes more or less flash in ammo
    The type of powder used.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    The type of powder used.
    Yeah but which powders cause more flash?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Unlikely that a gunshot would rupture your eardrum.

I can think of at least a few good reasons to not use a suppressor, including cost and inconvenience of the NFA process.
    Good points.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I am not against it if that is your choice and it is indeed a good option, however there are many who have been in enclosed spaces or in close confines with others when things got spontaneously loud and had no effects to their hearing or vision, both during the encounter and after. Not saying it isn't a variable and cannot happen because anything can happen, but don't overthink it. If you want it great, if not don't sweat it.
    There is a phenomena by which hearing under extreme, momentary stress can be greatly desensitized by an automatic response which increases blood pressure in the middle ear, dampening it's sound amplification and reducing the vibrations which meet the bone structure (which channel sound into the middle ear) and resulting in little or no hearing damage - permanent or temporary.

It can get so extreme that you may not even recollect ever hearing a gunshot in rare circumstances.
    Nobody ever got shot climbing over the wall into East Berlin.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leuthas View Post
    There is a phenomena by which hearing under extreme, momentary stress can be greatly desensitized by an automatic response which increases blood pressure in the middle ear, dampening it's sound amplification and reducing the vibrations which meet the bone structure (which channel sound into the middle ear) and resulting in little or no hearing damage - permanent or temporary.

It can get so extreme that you may not even recollect ever hearing a gunshot in rare circumstances.
    The level of stress required varies greatly person to person- I have even seen it occur in training... with little more than SIMS as an impetus.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I experience that every time I deer or turkey hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have a Saker 7.62 in jail right now, but as soon as its free it'll be on my HD rifle whenever I'm not shooting the long gun. I have a similar defensive scenario to some of the others (4 ft hallway with 7 ft ceilings), and having experience with unsuppressed gunfire indoors I definitely want to have a can. If I have to shoot someone with it I'd probably just take it off before the cops show up.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This thread is very similar to one I did years ago regarding SBR usage.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....nse&highlight=

Summary: best tool for the job..... it's only money..... How much is your life, and families life's worth?

If you can't afford to temporarily have your suppressor held in evidence, then maybe you should buy a 200 dollar double barrel shotgun/hi point pistol and skip the NFA game.

Size of weapon/maneuverability, potential legal issues (civil lawsuit), and having to keep control (locking up NFA items within a home to prevent access to non-authorized persons) are all valid reasons to not use a suppressor. Not using a suppressor because the paperwork takes too long/too expensive is not a good reason if you can gain a tactical edge in regards to communicating with family members, and preventing their hearing loss. The only reason I wouldn't use a suppressor is if you fear a civil lawsuit from the mouth breather's family...... hopefully your state has castle doctrine in which a lawful shoot can not me prosecuted in civil court.

Just because you have adrenaline pumping/audio exclusion, doesn't mean your family members/dog will have the same benefit. I want every advantage possible in a gun fight, and being able to effectively communicate with family members is why I use my suppressors on my home defense weapons.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    Howdy,

Quote Originally Posted by Direct Impinger View Post
    The level of stress required varies greatly person to person- I have even seen it occur in training... with little more than SIMS as an impetus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    I experience that every time I deer or turkey hunt.
    Anyone that hunts, has been involved in a shooting, or has been in combat knows this is true.

Of course extended exposure even in combat will damage your hearing.

Been there, done that, got VA issued hearing aides and a monthly check as a result.

The audiologist at the VA said the tinnitus was an extra bonus. ( I get a check for it too. )

Paul

Note to self: Never, and I mean NEVER fire an M-16 on full auto while inside a C-130 without proper hearing protection no matter how many Sandinistas are shooting at you at the time.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast