Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Who uses suppressed weapons for home defense setups?

Feedback Score
    Howdy,

Quote Originally Posted by Leuthas View Post
    There is a phenomena by which hearing under extreme, momentary stress can be greatly desensitized by an automatic response which increases blood pressure in the middle ear, dampening it's sound amplification and reducing the vibrations which meet the bone structure (which channel sound into the middle ear) and resulting in little or no hearing damage - permanent or temporary.

It can get so extreme that you may not even recollect ever hearing a gunshot in rare circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Direct Impinger View Post
    The level of stress required varies greatly person to person- I have even seen it occur in training... with little more than SIMS as an impetus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    I experience that every time I deer or turkey hunt.
    Anyone that hunts, has been involved in a shooting, or has been in combat knows this is true.

Of course extended exposure even in combat will damage your hearing.

Been there, done that, got VA issued hearing aides and a monthly check as a result.

The audiologist at the VA said the tinnitus was an extra bonus. ( I get a check for it too. )

Paul

Note to self: Never, and I mean NEVER fire an M-16 on full auto while inside a C-130 without proper hearing protection no matter how many Sandinistas are shooting at you at the time.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy,

Anyone that hunts, has been involved in a shooting, or has been in combat knows this is true.

Of course extended exposure even in combat will damage your hearing.

Been there, done that, got VA issued hearing aides and a monthly check as a result.

The audiologist at the VA said the tinnitus was an extra bonus. ( I get a check for it too. )

Paul

Note to self: Never, and I mean NEVER fire an M-16 on full auto while inside a C-130 without proper hearing protection no matter how many Sandinistas are shooting at you at the time.
    First, Thank you for your service.

Second, There's the rub. One doesn't know when his/her time is up. I'm guilty of this too, I hunt without ear pro all the time and can't remember a time when I was the shooter and with adrenaline flowing experienced ringing. I have been standing next to guys that fired and have had my head rocked with a braked magnum and regretted it for hours after.

My biggest concern is anyone else in the house (child in your arms, dog at your hip, spouse right behind you) that may not have the adrenalin dump and audio exclusion that you as the shooter have.

I work with a former artillery guy that has tinnitus soo bad that his hearing implants are only for white noise. He only gets 1-2 hours of sleep a night (if he's lucky), and usually stays up days on end. He has since sold all of his weapons for the real fear of suicide. I wouldn't wish that on any family member, especially a child with developing ears.
    Last edited by domestique; 10-28-15 at 05:46.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    I am set up that way. AR SBR with light, sling, T1, and can.

Don't have plan to put on eye and ear pro.
    Want to be able to hear well after shots fired. Want my wife and kids to be able to hear me after shots fired.
    yMMV.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by domestique View Post
    If you can't afford to temporarily have your suppressor held in evidence,

The only reason I wouldn't use a suppressor is if you fear a civil lawsuit from the mouth breather's family...... hopefully your state has castle doctrine in which a lawful shoot can not me prosecuted in civil court.

Why would they even know, just put the suppressor away, then call for pickup.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    Why would they even know, just put the suppressor away, then call for pickup.
    I agree, but was informed that CSI can actually tell if a suppressor was used in a shooting (especially close range/indoor shooting). A good prosecutor could say you tampered/obstructed with the evidence/investigation.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    As it is, for me, my SBRs are all locked up in the gun cabinet and play no role in my home defense planning, such as it is. In my life, the likelihood of home defense is so low that I don't indulge in that particular fantasy, and suppressors are way down my priority list. Good ear protection is a far more cost-effective plan for me.
    Agreed. Life is all about risk management.

The odds of me leaving my SBR out without locking it up in the morning are significantly higher than the odds I will need any firearm in the middle of the night...let alone that I will need a rifle.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 12-11-15 at 00:01.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    If/when "troubled" times are here, the 300BLK SBR with expanding subs will be bedside. Until then my go-to is 147 grn G19 with suppressor. Comparing the Glock with tall sights and a standard sighted Sig P226 with the can I found both shoot equally well at 7 yards just sighting down the top of the can.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    My g23, rmr, streamlite and osprey40 sit next to my bed every night.
    On the other side of the house, my son has a m4, pro, streamlite, with socom556rc next to his bed.
    It's south texas. Come get some. No screwing around. Illegals all over the place.
    Only saving grace is that most of the worst of them are all moving along to places north, east and west mostly to sanctuary cities and lib holdouts. Because we are ready, they don't mess around here after walking across the border. Even tho Obama has invited them in, they know they are not welcome here.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    curious if anyone have substituted/use a BE Meyer 249F to reduce muzzle flash indoors
    In Illinois, suppressors are illegal, hence, my selection of 249F...we just have hearing protection on standby.
    subscribed
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    If you are in a fight, and something impedes your ability to adequately project force, correct that problem or remove yourself from the fight.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post
    curious if anyone have substituted/use a BE Meyer 249F to reduce muzzle flash indoors
    In Illinois, suppressors are illegal, hence, my selection of 249F...we just have hearing protection on standby.
    subscribed
    I built a gun when I lived in Hawaii that I felt best worked for the non-NFA state, I used a 13.7" WOA barrel with mid length gas tube and permanently attached Noveske KX3 on the end to meet the 16" length requirement. Redirecting the flash and concussion is about all you can do without the use of a suppressor, but its still gonna be rediculously loud.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast