Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BCG/Buffer Physics

Feedback Score

BCG/Buffer Physics

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the practical physics of the AR action, primarily dealing with the bolt carrier group and buffer weights.

Functionally, if two setups had the exact same weight, however one had a light weight carrier while the other setup had a standard carrier but a lighter buffer, would these two operate differently? Or when considering the action weights would you sum them and look at them as the same?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    I don't think there would be any difference.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    IF there were no movable weights in the buffer, it would make no difference where the mass was distributed.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Interesting, makes you wonder why people buy light weight carriers at all if they can just take it out of the buffer. Thanks for the replies!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inix View Post
    I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the practical physics of the AR action, primarily dealing with the bolt carrier group and buffer weights.

Functionally, if two setups had the exact same weight, however one had a light weight carrier while the other setup had a standard carrier but a lighter buffer, would these two operate differently? Or when considering the action weights would you sum them and look at them as the same?

Thanks
    The reciprocating mass is what matters as to bolt velocity. Whether the weight is in the carrier or in the buffer makes no difference.

Moving, or free floating weights in the buffer prevent bolt bounce on both end of the stroke. On the forward stroke, it doesn't make much difference unless you are shooting full auto. On the rearward stroke free weights in the buffer stop the carrier/bolt from rebounding off the back of the receiver extension and tend to slow the cyclic rate.

Feedback Score
    I am not familiar with the JP silent capture system, but are its weights free to move somewhat, or is it completely secured.

In a traditional system then, would it make it more reliable to have a light carrier with extra heavy buffer to further reduce bolt bounce, yet keep the same overall action weight?

Feedback Score
    There are some studies that show an increase in buffered mass without an increase in total mass has made improvements in A5 systems.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inix View Post
    I am not familiar with the JP silent capture system, but are its weights free to move somewhat, or is it completely secured.

In a traditional system then, would it make it more reliable to have a light carrier with extra heavy buffer to further reduce bolt bounce, yet keep the same overall action weight?
    Unless you are a lucky owner of a fully automatic AR, bolt bounce is a non-issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    There are some studies that show an increase in buffered mass without an increase in total mass has made improvements in A5 systems.
    I am interested in this issue, could you provide a link?

Feedback Score

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast