Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey, it happens that the Kel-Tec RDB is actually a quite nice gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfeetz View Post
    With a mag in the well i would think that it would be much more resistant to accumulating enough contamination to cause that type of malfunction.
    Except they did the test with a mag in and it did accumulate enough to cause the malfunction. The mud got in the ejection port and behind the bolt carrier. I'd have to go back at look at the gun broken down but I think if the rifle had a solid carrier that closed off the port it would go a long way towards preventing this. They did a similar test with a few other rifles including an AR and the AR did the best even with the cover open. But that's only out of 4 rifles so far.
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigghoss View Post
    Except they did the test with a mag in and it did accumulate enough to cause the malfunction. The mud got in the ejection port and behind the bolt carrier. I'd have to go back at look at the gun broken down but I think if the rifle had a solid carrier that closed off the port it would go a long way towards preventing this. They did a similar test with a few other rifles including an AR and the AR did the best even with the cover open. But that's only out of 4 rifles so far.
    The bolt on the RDB doesn't have a large carrier that could be altered to do anything like that.

I see what they did to contaminate the ejection port, they actually filled that sucker in, that is extreme to say the least. If that is what I have to avoid to keep the gun running, I'll take my chances. The RDB's strength lies in the design of the ejection and bolt action, turns out that is also its Achilles Heel (if you don't take care and avoid filling it with gravel, mud, deer corn etc).

I have been shooting over 1k rounds so far with my RDB and all I have done as far as maint goes is a squirt of WD on the bolt around the 1k mark. I think this gun will handle everything short of filling the ejection port with mud as well as any other rifle
    Last edited by bigfeetz; 12-19-15 at 07:43.

Feedback Score
    Over 2k rounds in and no stoppages or malfunctions. Turns out this is a 2 to 3 moa gun, not too surprising as far as bullpups go. This gun could benefit from a heavier profile barrel though, pencil barrel 17.5' is prone to deflection as it is not free floated. Over all it has turned out to be a great gun. I have found this bullpup superior to my AUG ergonomically, instant ambidextrous capability, runs great suppressed, very good trigger OTB for a bullpup, about one pound lighter than a Tavor or an AUG. Gun runs fine with every magazine I have stuffed in it.

Kel Tec can be proud of this gun if they keep up the production quality.

Feedback Score
    Update, found right factory ammo for this gun so 2 moa is consistent from a monopod prone set up. Around 3k down the tube, over half suppressed ,one full cleaning after about 2.4k rounds. No stoppages, no malfunctions. Testing is over for me. This RDB bullpup is the best civilian bullpup IMO. Suppression is still top notch like the gun was designed to run suppressed, everything is holding up fine with no abnormal wear.
    Last edited by bigfeetz; 03-14-16 at 20:15.

Feedback Score
    Update, found right factory ammo for this gun so 2 moa is consistent from a monopod prone set up. Around 3k down the tube, over half suppressed ,one full cleaning after about 2.4k rounds. No stoppages, no malfunctions. Testing is over for me. This RDB bullpup is the best civilian bullpup IMO. Suppression is still top notch like the gun was designed to run suppressed, everything is holding up fine with no abnormal wear.
    If a Colt 6920 did something similar (more than 1,5k rounds supressed without malfunctions), people here would be singing praises to it.

Glad to know my thread title wasnt a dud.
    Last edited by Vitor; 03-22-16 at 12:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitor View Post
    If a Colt 6920 did something similar (more than 1,5k rounds supressed without malfunctions), people here would be singing praises to it.

Glad to know my thread title wasnt a dud.
    Yep, according to a few posts at KTOG , a few folks have purchased the RDB for $1k. If i could find one at that price I would buy another without hesitation. For now i am going to wait for the opportunitry to buy a 6.5 carbine version of the RDB, supposed to come with an 18" or 20 medium profile barrel. If it will hold under 1.5 moa with decent ammo it will be a great gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Kel Tec would have to have a production of more than 10 rifles a year before that would ever happen.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    Kel Tec would have to have a production of more than 10 rifles a year before that would ever happen.
    I managed to get one...as long as I can get another in 6.5 I don't care how may they put out a year.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    This rifle is looking more and more interesting. I'm liking the ergonomics of the RDB-Survival a lot too. Hopefully, Kel-Tec will increase its production capabilities. Hopefully, there is one in green at the local gun show this weekend.

SamM

Attachment 44728
    Last edited by SamM; 03-31-17 at 08:11.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Sorry for the necro, but any more updates?
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast