Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pistol or Short Barreled rifle, registered receiver or registered stock...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Pistol or Short Barreled rifle, registered receiver or registered stock...

Many people buy a rifle caliber pistol and then regsiter an SBR and use the pistol as the base by simply adding a stock.

I realise that most commonly it is the receiver of the gun that is registered as a short barreled rifle.

However, I am also aware that with machine guns you could have a registreded sear , or (e.g. an UZI) a registered bolt.

My question is, can I register the buffer tube as the SBR?

The reason this would be great is that in the same way that a machinegun sear can be used in multiple host guns, you could use the buffer tube, registered as an SBR, on multiple host guns.

This would aslo be helpful with some weapons using a great deal of polymer where engraving might be difficult. for example, let's say I have a Glock pistol I want to put a stock on. Where/how am I supposed to put the ATF/NFA mandated engraving???

TED

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    On an AR, the lower receiver is to be engraved and registered as it is the serialized component of the rifle.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    On an AR, the lower receiver is to be engraved and registered as it is the serialized component of the rifle.
    This, period.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Why, says who?

If you are thinking because it is the part that has the serial # on it, consider for example that a registered sear or a registered bolt ahve their own seperate serial # that is engraved on them. There is no requirement that the serial number on the receiver and the serial number on the registered sear be the same. Even if taht were the case, one could simply engrave the same serial number on the stock or buffer tube that the rifle has on it.

That is why I gave the example of the machinegun sear and registered bolt.

The question is can I register the stock or buffer tube as the SBR?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    Why, says who?

If you are thinking because it is the part that has the serial # on it, consider for example that a registered sear or a registered bolt ahve their own seperate serial # that is engraved on them. There is no requirement that the serial number on the receiver and the serial number on the registered sear be the same. Even if taht were the case, one could simply engrave the same serial number on the stock or buffer tube that the rifle has on it.

That is why I gave the example of the machinegun sear and registered bolt.

The question is can I register the stock or buffer tube as the SBR?
    The NFA branch of the ATF.

I gave you the answer: "NO"

ATF laws may not make sense, but they are the law. Play at your own risk.
    Last edited by scooter22; 10-19-15 at 13:49.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The BATFE considers the serialized lower receiver the part that makes a gun a "weapon" that falls under the NFA. No mention of the sear, disconnect, bolt, or otherwise. It's the host of those items that is registered in any case.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Per CHAPTER 6. MAKING NFA FIREARMS BY NONLICENSEE (https://www.atf.gov/file/58216/download):

The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model, and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon. The marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Everyone seems to be missing the real issue.

There are numberous examples of registered sears where the registered sear is the machinegun and has its own serial number. You can put that sear in any gun it will work in.

There are numerous exampled of registered bolts where the registered bolt is the mahcinegun and it has its own serial number. You can put that bolt in any gun it will work in.

I want to register a stock or buffer tube as a Short Barreled Rifle and engrave it with the required information and serial #so that I can put it on any of my pistols it will fit on.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Show an example.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If the sear came from an H&K, it can be used in any H&K as long as it can be restored to it's host, which is the receiver it was registered under.

You're partially correct. The Sear pack is regulated, however it falls back on the host receiver portion deemed by the ATF as the "Firearm" for registration.

https://www.atf.gov/file/58196/download

Quote Originally Posted by The ATF "What are Firearms under the NFA?"
    Of all the different firearms defined as NFA weapons, machineguns are the only type where the receiver
    of the weapon by itself is an NFA firearm. As a result, it is important that the receiver of a machinegun
    be properly identified. Many machineguns incorporate a “split” or “hinged” receiver design so the main
    portion of the weapon can be easily separated into upper and lower sections. Additionally, some
    machineguns utilize a construction method where the receiver is composed of a number of
    subassemblies that are riveted together to form the complete receiver.
    The following table lists specific models of machineguns incorporating the above designs and the
    portion of the weapon that has been held to be the receiver. This list is not all- inclusive. For
    information concerning a split or hinged receiver type machinegun not listed below, contact FTB at
    (304) 260-1699.
    Model Receiver
    Armalite AR10 lower
    Armalite AR15 (all variations) lower
    Armalite AR18 lower
    Beretta AR70 lower
    British L1A1 upper
    Browning M1917 right side plate
    Browning M1919 (all variations) right side plate
    Browning M2 & M2HB right side plate
    Colt M16 (all variations) lower
    Czech Vz 61 lower
    FN FNC lower
    Model Receiver
    FN CAL upper
    FN FAL upper
    French MAT 49 upper
    German MP38 & MP40 upper
    H&K G3 (all variations) upper
    H&K MP5 (all variations) upper
    IMI UZI upper
    M61 Vulcan outer housing
    M134 Minigun outer housing
    Maxim MG08 and 08/15 right side plate
    SIG AMT upper
    SIG STG 57 upper
    SIG 550 Series (all variations) upper
    Soviet PPsH 41 upper
    Soviet PPS 43 upper
    Steyr MPi 69 upper
    Steyr MPi 81 upper
    Thompson submachinegun (all variations) upper
    Vickers water cooled machineguns right side plate
    Last edited by Joelski; 10-19-15 at 16:13.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast