Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pistol or Short Barreled rifle, registered receiver or registered stock...

Feedback Score
    The op thinks it's different because a part with a serial number is installed into a non nfa weapon, and it becomes one, a machine-gun.
    Why can't a part be installed onto a pistol to make it an sbr?

Having just seen this, at 11:30 pm, I have not made any inquiry or read the section in the nfa handbook, but I think I can pretty well answer this from what I already know.

Machine-guns are defined by one attribute only, the discharging of more than one shot by a single pull of the trigger. Nothing else matters.
    If only one part makes it work as a machine-gun, then that part can be the machine-gun, and be registered and numbered.

However, short barrel rifles are determined by several factors. One, it must be a "rifle", ie., designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder. Therefore, it has a stock. Two, it must have a barrel measuring less than 16" in length, an overall length of less than 26", or both.
    So, it must have both a stock, and a barrel or overall length under the, minimum requirements to qualify. While you may add only one part to finish the qualification, several parts are involved in the qualification.
    Plus, a pistol cannot readily accept a stock, so in order to add a stock to an AR pistol, for example, several parts are needed. The buffer tube alone would instantly qualify it, because now it readily accepts a stock. But, there still is not a stock actually on it.
    Basically, gunsmithing is involved, whereas the drop in auto sear or bolt is merely a part change, not breakdown of parts requiring tools, as in the removal of a buffer tube.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post

My question is, can I register the buffer tube as the SBR?
    No.

Read the form. You make and register a firearm, not a part.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    The op thinks it's different because a part with a serial number is installed into a non nfa weapon, and it becomes one, a machine-gun.
    Why can't a part be installed onto a pistol to make it an sbr?

Having just seen this, at 11:30 pm, I have not made any inquiry or read the section in the nfa handbook, but I think I can pretty well answer this from what I already know.

Machine-guns are defined by one attribute only, the discharging of more than one shot by a single pull of the trigger. Nothing else matters.
    If only one part makes it work as a machine-gun, then that part can be the machine-gun, and be registered and numbered.

However, short barrel rifles are determined by several factors. One, it must be a "rifle", ie., designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder. Therefore, it has a stock. Two, it must have a barrel measuring less than 16" in length, an overall length of less than 26", or both.
    So, it must have both a stock, and a barrel or overall length under the, minimum requirements to qualify. While you may add only one part to finish the qualification, several parts are involved in the qualification.
    Plus, a pistol cannot readily accept a stock, so in order to add a stock to an AR pistol, for example, several parts are needed. The buffer tube alone would instantly qualify it, because now it readily accepts a stock. But, there still is not a stock actually on it.
    Basically, gunsmithing is involved, whereas the drop in auto sear or bolt is merely a part change, not breakdown of parts requiring tools, as in the removal of a buffer tube.

Thank you that is actually quite helpful and responsive, unlike some others.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not trying to challenge your knowledge, but the manual states that the group can be serialized, but the registered part is still the lower receiver; example being the listing for the M-16 from the reference I posted earlier in this thread. We know its the disconnect and sear that makes it work as a machine gun and those parts may indeed be serialized and recorded, but the ATF's own manual on the NFA states its still the lower that's the weapon. My thinking is it's one half of the receiver group and is responsible for sending the lead, not a couple of components. I would love a clarification of this if my information is incorrect. The issue taken here, is that the OP thinks he can arbitrarily assign the serial and thus the registration to the buffer tube, which is neither correct, not legal according to the ATF/NFA definitions. Not trying to throw wet blankets bro, but no amount of wishing will make this any closer to reality. If it was, I could make a trigger guard the registrable part of a machine gun and shoot anything I want.

I know the H&K sear packs can be installed in a variety of their rifles and smg's d/t parts interchangability beyond all but German comprehension. They are great engineers. Unlike a company I hold very near and dear, but they cannot standardize a single bolt head or pitch size across a line of similar size items! The company's name you ask? It rhyme's with PagMul!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelski View Post
    If the sear came from an H&K, it can be used in any H&K as long as it can be restored to it's host, which is the receiver it was registered under.
    You're partially correct. The Sear pack is regulated, however it falls back on the host receiver portion deemed by the ATF as the "Firearm" for registration
    No need to restore to its host, HK sears are registered MGs on their own as he wrote and do not require a host to even be present. There is no
    fallback". It is common to sell them without even a pack ala carte.

Feedback Score
    The "sear pack" or "bolt", such as used in an uzi, are the exception. Only machine-guns have this. Sbr, sbs does not, it falls to the receiver.
    The registered machine-gun part can travel from host to host, making any a machine-gun.
    Moving a buffer tube, for instance, will not make an sbr out of whatever firearm it gets mounted on, only the ones which meet the rest of the definition.

NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    Because some people remember when I registered my finger.

Thanks for making me laugh! I don't think the marker meets the depth requirement!

OP even if you could, I would not want to register a RE. It's kinda a weak part with the ability to be damaged or destroyed easily moving it from gun to gun.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's a dang interesting question, but I don't see the point of wanting to move the buffer tube from gun to gun to make multiple sbr's when it would be much easier to just register one lower and then use however many short barreled uppers you want on it which is really the same as having multiple sbr's.
    Last edited by kirkland; 12-04-15 at 19:02.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123