Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pistol or Short Barreled rifle, registered receiver or registered stock...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I register the buffer tube as the SBR, then the "receiver or frame" of the SBR, would be the buffer tube and the buttstock and attachemnt point between the buffer tube and the gun would be just parts. So then the buffer tube being the receiver would be the part engraved and serialized of the new SBR.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    If I register the buffer tube as the SBR, then the "receiver or frame" of the SBR, would be the buffer tube and the buttstock and attachemnt point between the buffer tube and the gun would be just parts. So then the buffer tube being the receiver would be the part engraved and serialized of the new SBR.
    Wrong.

The receiver is the receiver is the receiver.

This is an SBR, not a machinegun.

Play by the rules, or get burned.
    Last edited by scooter22; 10-19-15 at 16:46.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    TED, you're welcome to try; it is a free country after all. I will predict that you'll get a denied application with the same reasons stated in this thread.

You cannot dictate what is registrable, only the ATF can do that via the NFA, and it's been done. For reference, see "COLT M16" on the list I posted. It gives the lower receiver as the registrable part, not the FCG.

Feedback Score
    Pretty sure it has to be on the receiver or barrel, or frame if you're SBR'ing a pistol. I sincerely doubt your idea would fly. I can engrave my MK18 upper all I want, but if I put it on an unregistered lower I'm breaking a law. That's just how it is. The lower receiver is "the gun". The only possible way I can see it being acceptable to engrave a buffer tube is if you pin and weld it to the lower.

The whole thing seems like a pretty poor idea to be honest, the possible payout isn't worth the risk.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I think everyone understands what you're trying to do. Nothing wrong with trying to think outside the box.

The problem is that it's the ATF's Firearms and Ammunition Technology Division that determines which part of each gun is the 'firearm', therefore needing a serial number, and why. This determination is also based on the recommendation of the manufacturer at the time the firearm is submitted for approval.

Take the FAL as an example; it is the upper receiver that is considered the 'firearm.'

The same is true for the Ruger MK-series of pistols - the barrel is the serialized part, as opposed to a 1911, or almost every other handgun, where the frame is the serialized part (some Sigs are different).

An auto sear, and companion bolt, are part of what makes those NFA items NFA. Hence their regulation, and unique serial numbers.

The reason that the lower receiver of an AR-15 rifle is the serialized is because that is what has been defined as the firearm.

Even if you were granted a variance by the ATF, which is unlikely as you did not manufacture the firearm or any of the parts in question (nor is this not an AR-15), for SBRs the "information must be engraved, casted, stamped (impressing) or otherwise conspicuously placed or caused to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size of the Serial number shall be no smaller than 1/16 inch." Tough to make happen on a buffer or receiver extension, especially if you have an adjustable stock.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Everyone seems to be missing the real issue.
    [snip]
    I want to register a stock or buffer tube as a Short Barreled Rifle and engrave it with the required information and serial #so that I can put it on any of my pistols it will fit on.
    W

T

F
    ?

Dude, you're the only one "missing the real issue." You don't get to decide what is the receiver. The ATF says that the lower receiver IS the firearm.
    The "buffer tube" is a "receiver extension" meaning... an extension of the receiver. It's not the firearm and you can't register it and say it's a firearm.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-...p44-sec921.pdf

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regula...l-firearms-act

This can't be real...
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    ^ lolz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    How is this not locked yet?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    How many times do you have to get the exact same answer before you "get it"?

Some people live and learn... others just live.
    Support the NRA

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    How is this not locked yet?
    Because some people remember when I registered my finger.

Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 10-19-15 at 22:26.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast