Thread: bow fishing/fiberglass arrow question

Feedback Score

bow fishing/fiberglass arrow question

I defletched my bow fishing arrow, a solid fiberglass arrow, and nicked it with the razor and got some small splinters. They are not deep at all. My bow is a 60lb compound shooting around 260fps calculated with hunting arrows, so much less with the bow fishing arrow. It should be fine to shoot right or am I risking the thing breaking. Solid fiberglass I'd imagine it's fine but wanted 2nd opinions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wouldn't expect any issues at all. Most of my bow-fishing arrows are beat up.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I defletched my bow fishing arrow, a solid fiberglass arrow, and nicked it with the razor and got some small splinters. They are not deep at all. My bow is a 60lb compound shooting around 260fps calculated with hunting arrows, so much less with the bow fishing arrow. It should be fine to shoot right or am I risking the thing breaking. Solid fiberglass I'd imagine it's fine but wanted 2nd opinions.
    Throw it in the trash. Rare but not unheard of, arrow splits upon release, enters your forearm, then you risk getting to get to spend thousands of dollars with someone like me, pain, lost work time, long term loss of function, etc...The highly innervated and vascular structures within the mid/lower forearm and wrist do not always recover well from this kind of trauma.

Risk/Reward - not even close. The cost of an arrow vs coming to visit me in the hospital.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHunter View Post
    Throw it in the trash. Rare but not unheard of, arrow splits upon release, enters your forearm, then you risk getting to get to spend thousands of dollars with someone like me, pain, lost work time, long term loss of function, etc...The highly innervated and vascular structures within the mid/lower forearm and wrist do not always recover well from this kind of trauma.

Risk/Reward - not even close. The cost of an arrow vs coming to visit me in the hospital.
    Ok. It's gone. Thanks for the perspective.

Feedback Score
    I love bow fishing.