Thread: New build for my wife... in red

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

New build for my wife... in red

I have had a lot of success over the last few months getting my wife more interested in shooting. So when she asked me if she could have her own AR I was pumped. She had shot most of my rifles, but found them to be just heavy enough that she was not very comfortable. So I began to build her a rifle to mimic her favorite of my own but more lightweight. She wants a can (a dedicated 556 can is in the works, until then an AAC SDN6 will hang off of then end so she can dream about the arrival of her smaller and lighter can. One ELW barrel and KMR Aplha later and we were well on our way. Until she saw a red ambi safety from Seekins Precision, at which point a lot of my spare parts that were slated for this build were replaced with shiny new red ones...

Well, the last red part arrived this morning and she is itching to shoot.

Attachment 37859

Upper:

14.5" BCM ELW middy
    KMR Alpha
    AAC Brakeout
    AAC SDN6
    WMD NiB bcg (red cerakote)
    Larue Rail clip thingies (more red)
    Seekins Precision AFG (red...)
    Strike Tactical charging handle (I am on the fence about this as I have no experience with them, BCM Gunfighter CH standing by)
    Magpul BUIS place holding until the Troy sights arrive
    Inforce WML (other side)
    Aimpoint H2

Lower:

Noveske Gen 2 Chainsaw Lower
    BCM Stock
    Magpul Grip
    Geissele SD-E
    Seekins Ambi Safety and Mag Release
    Cerakoted Takedown Pins (these may also get replaced pretty quickly, seem solid but who knows)
    H Buffer

I was hesitant at first but I find that I really like the red, not as much as FDE but it suits her. Thoughts would be appreciated, especially concerning the CH from Strike industries.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can see why your wife is happy with that build.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    Pretty cool wife build. Far less obnoxious than pink. Most red-blooded grown men would love to rock that rifle/can!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the comments, we spent a fair amount of time shooting that day, and other than having to take off the can (too much weight out front, not suprised) things went very smoothly.

On a side not, this is the second Enhanced barrel from BCM that I have gotten and I am continually impressed with how well this new profile shoots.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I know weight is a concern, but I've found balance to be just as important. With all the weight and length out front, the counterweight of a heavier stock can help quite a bit to make the gun 'feel' lighter.

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I agree that it looks great and a heavier stock will help the balance.

P.S., I noticed your Iron Maiden avatar. Here are some pics I took this afternoon.

And here's a video of them re-positioning Ed Force One:

Let me know if you want me to remove them!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Agreed on a heavier stock for balance, I have a CTR (only 2oz heavier I think) to try out next time I can get her to join me. We found that without the can she was fine, especially when she was using 20 round mags. Hopefully the smaller, lighter can will work better for her.

glocktogo, kick ass pics!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masan View Post
    Agreed on a heavier stock for balance, I have a CTR (only 2oz heavier I think) to try out next time I can get her to join me. We found that without the can she was fine, especially when she was using 20 round mags. Hopefully the smaller, lighter can will work better for her.

glocktogo, kick ass pics!
    Thanks!

I use an Vltor E-Mod on my can equipped AR's. It's quite a bit heavier than a CTR, but doesn't break the bank like some of the other heavies do.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masan View Post
    Looks like something from Mass Effect. I really like it.

I've gotta wonder, though, how well Cerakote will hold up on a NiB bolt carrier group.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So far so good, about 400 rounds. There are some wear marks that I can see through the ejection port but they are minimal. Next time I have the BCG out I will take some pics and post.