Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: DBAL-A3 vs. Atpial C

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    On topic of "real use" of these civilian laser devices, how effective or rather ineffective are they against artificial lighting in urban environments?

Most of these TNVC testings or other reviews have mostly been in some back country with nothing else other than the moonlight. How does the weaker ATPIAL-C or DBAL-i2/A3 fare against alight source from say street lights, homes, etc? Does it wash out as easily? Going back to white lights and their respective lumens, the higher the better in order to defeat being washed out by other higher intensity sources. The illuminators are <5mW, seems rather weak.

Perhaps LEO's and similar professions have a more realistic approach to deploying these civilian lasers since the average civilian isn't likely to be trotting down in the city with a rifle and NOD's.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I would think a LE agency would just get the full power versions. Good question overall though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by contax_shooter View Post
    On topic of "real use" of these civilian laser devices, how effective or rather ineffective are they against artificial lighting in urban environments?

Most of these TNVC testings or other reviews have mostly been in some back country with nothing else other than the moonlight. How does the weaker ATPIAL-C or DBAL-i2/A3 fare against alight source from say street lights, homes, etc? Does it wash out as easily? Going back to white lights and their respective lumens, the higher the better in order to defeat being washed out by other higher intensity sources. The illuminators are <5mW, seems rather weak.

Perhaps LEO's and similar professions have a more realistic approach to deploying these civilian lasers since the average civilian isn't likely to be trotting down in the city with a rifle and NOD's.
    I'll take a stab at this, although I haven't used my ATPIAL-C for more than a couple night time yote hunts, I have alot of time under 14's with a PEQ15 (thats pushing 10yrs ago though).

Quite frankly, it's going to "depend" the ATPIAL-c is limited by not being adjustable, and I don't see the illuminator being useful past 50-70m with other sources of light present. However, inside that, I think it will work fine for illuminating shadows, even with some artificial light being present.

Where I could see needing more juice is if trying to illuminate something on the other side of a streetlight at distance. Not only will you not have the output for it, you can't adjust the beam.

The A3 may be vastly superior in that regard, but I have no experience with it.

One thing I like about the ATPIAL-c for working in and around buildings, is that the diffuser gives you the same 180ish spill of the PEQ15 diffuser. This works great for inside buildings, or at short distances (10-20m) outside.

I hope this was somewhat informative, next time I get the opportunity to get out with some NODs I'll get some more definitive answers.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    I would think a LE agency would just get the full power versions. Good question overall though.
    I think it was one of the Telluric videos where they mentioned some LE use C1 lasers because of the liability.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    There are so many LE agencies that "some" really needs a definition to hold any water. How many LE agencies does Telluric even have exposure to?

But, it doesn't surprise me. Often the people who make those acquisition decisions have ZERO experience or knowledge and are often in jobs where they haven't need to carry handcuffs in the last ten years because they haven't been in a position to arrest anyone.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    I think it was one of the Telluric videos where they mentioned some LE use C1 lasers because of the liability.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    I heard that and thought it was goofy as hell. An equipment "fix" for a training issue. Trust officers with firearms, but not lasers.

I think pyrotechnic hit upon where the MAWL will shine, transitional lighting conditions, where the extra photons will help to 'push through.' The MAWL is also quickly adjusted from the low intensity to the higher intensity on the fly, while keeping the laser and illuminator co-aligned.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617