Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: DBAL-A3 vs. Atpial C

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    The ATPIAL-C and DBAL-i2/D2/A3 all offer adjustable alignment for the illuminator.
    The only one I see with an adjustable illuminator is the $1400 ATPIAL-C.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    The illuminator on the i2 is adjustable. You just give up the capability for an IR aiming point, depending on the model you have.

You either get vis/IR-laser/illuminator or dedicated IR-laser/IR-illuminator.

The IR portion of the i2/vis works as either an IR-aiming device, or you rotate the knob to diffuse the laser beam into a wide-throw illuminator.

That's what was confusing me with the terminology of "illuminator". It's not an IR-light in the conventional sense. It is a diffused/unfocused version of the IR laser.

Whatever you end up running, my suggestion in the brief period I've had mine, would be to ensure that your method of activation for illumination is completely seperate from your method of activation for lasing.

Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 01-28-16 at 09:08.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    On further review of the A3, you are correct. I have a full on Class 3b one and thought they'd made the civilian market one the same.

I apologize for ASSuming on that one.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yeah, it seems the full versions of any of those products do, but the Class I versions do not.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Stupid FDA and their stupid rules

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post

That's what was confusing me with the terminology of "illuminator". It's not an IR-light in the conventional sense. It is a diffused/unfocused version of the IR laser.
    Yeah, I ran into that too. The illuminators are just diffused lasers in the civi versions.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Get the I2 and save yourself $500. Still haven't used my vis laser for anything but ensuring that it worked.
    My dogs love it, makes for good indoor exercise.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by N.Franklin View Post
    My dogs love it, makes for good indoor exercise.
    I already have an ATPIAL-C on my SCAR 16S CQC and hopped on the opportunity for a DBAL-A3 at 20% off from TNVC. The unit arrived 2 days ago but had problems powering up with various batteries. At least half the time, I'd screw the battery cap on and nothing in terms of output. Other times it would work fine or intermittently. I called TNVC and they had a return shipping label in my in-box within 5 minutes. Unfortunately, they are back ordered a few weeks.

I did get to play with it a couple of times before sending in back. Compared to my ATPIAL, the IR illumination on the DBAL-A3 was superior. The illumination on the DBAL is a bit brighter but the most striking feature is how uniform it is compared to the ATPIAL which is very irregular.

As for the mount, I much prefer the mechanism of the DBAL's throw lever, but I like the ATPIAL's low profile. The DBAL occupies the lower 1/4 of my sight picture when mounted at 12 o'clock and using a Aimpoint T1 on a Larue absolute co-witness mount. On the other hand, I can barely see the top of the ATPIAL using the same setup.

Provided that the new DBAL unit is problem free and has similar quality IR illumination, I give a slight nod to it over the ATPIAL.
    Last edited by Sensei; 02-01-16 at 12:24.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    So general consensus is that the visible is not worth it other than for zeroing?

About to pick up either an I2 if this is the case.

I also see that the I2 IR flood zero is adjustable without tools like on my LA-5 UHP. Has anyone found that to be useful in any way on the C1? lol

picked up an I2 lol couldn't justify the extra 400 for a visible laser that I'd probably only a handful of times
    Last edited by patriot_man; 02-04-16 at 07:31.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post

Whatever you end up running, my suggestion in the brief period I've had mine, would be to ensure that your method of activation for illumination is completely seperate from your method of activation for lasing.
    After playing with different setups, this is what I settled with. Light/Illum is the 12 0'clock switch and the dbal is activated by the switch sandwiched between the light switch and the 9 o'clock rail.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast