Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: DBAL-A3 vs. Atpial C

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Glad that's out of the way...

Soooo...how is the IR illum? According to TNVC the A3 and I2 have the same illuminator.
    Wasn't this answered on the first page?

Cliff notes:
    If you need to reach out to 200+ meters, then the D2 is probably best, but at that range the limiting factor is the PVS 14.
    For close in work, go with A3 or I2 for the focusable beam.

Doesn't seem like there's one to rule them all on the civilian market. For me, I'll be going I2 (Single Spectrum) since I really have no need to reach out that far at night.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    No, it never got answered because someone was convinced the I2 didn't come with illum.

The Atpials Illum is not adjustable and the DBALs is. That was all I saw settled so far.

Does one reach further than the other? Is it worth the extra $500?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    No, it never got answered because someone was convinced the I2 didn't come with illum.

The Atpials Illum is not adjustable and the DBALs is. That was all I saw settled so far.

Does one reach further than the other? Is it worth the extra $500?
    Looking at the specs on each, I would tend to lean toward the A3/I2 having the better illuminator at range. But I could be wrong.

This was sorta touched on by M4Guru (if you read between the lines):
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru View Post
    I spent a pretty decent portion of my adult life seeing green, and I would look to the IR illuminator to make my decision. The aiming laser is cool and all, but the IR flood is what allows target ID and awareness of your shooting environment...a big concern for home defense or teaching end users.

I have a PEQ-15, LA-5, and an ATPIAL-C and while the laser is decent the civilian version's non-adjustable illuminator is borderline useless. Compared to the real thing ( I prefer the UHP LA-5), the C model is a Prius engine in a muscle car body.

I agree that the form factor of the ATPIAL is more favorable than their LDI counterparts, but the civilian DBALs have an adjustable IR illuminator which put it ahead for me.

You can augment the laser with a Surefire V-series light and get by, but it's not as ideal as having adequate IR illum on the laser unit. In addition, you lose the ability to immediately have white light if your I2 gest washed out or becomes impractical.
    Last edited by Ironman8; 11-28-15 at 20:57.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Thanks man.

I think I'll give it a shot. I am a huge PEQ fan but I want to see the -C model in person first and for an additional $500+ I'm not seeing the bennies.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Thanks man.

I think I'll give it a shot. I am a huge PEQ fan but I want to see the -C model in person first and for an additional $500+ I'm not seeing the bennies.
    I would talk with TNVC, they're good people and will answer whatever questions you have. You'll have a definite answer at least
    Last edited by Ironman8; 11-29-15 at 10:18.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This thread, while good, is confusing. Can someone, who knows these products, please put a summary together of the products and their features and include the PEQ-2?

It would help me a metric ton and I suspect others as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    This thread, while good, is confusing. Can someone, who knows these products, please put a summary together of the products and their features and include the PEQ-2?

It would help me a metric ton and I suspect others as well.
    Civilians can buy class 3 visible lasers without issues, and class 1 IR lasers without issues; note that the old designations of using Roman numerals has been superseded. Note that high powered IR illuminators available to civilians are LED-based, which means that they give off a visual signature in the dark, albeit a very faint one with limited viewing angles.

Model Visible designator IR designator IR illuminator For sale to civilians? Special features/notes
    TPIAL AN/PEQ-2A N/A Class 3B Class 3B (adjustable flood) No No visible laser
    ATPIAL AN/PEQ-15, LA-5B/PEQ, LA-5C/PEQ Red Class 3B Class 3B (adjustable flood) No Different designations for different power levels
    AN/PEQ-15A DBAL-A² Red or green Class 3B Class 3B (adjustable flood) No
    DBAL-A³ Class 3 Green Class 3B Class 33B (adjustable flood) No Visible override port (toggles visible laser and compatible WML together), designators have slaved zeros
    CQBL-1 Class 3 Red Class 3B N/A No Designators have slaved zeros, very compact so perfect for SBRs, SMGs, and PDWs
    MIPIM (AN/PEQ-16B) Red Class 3B Class 3B (adjustable flood) No Includes a 125 lumen white light as part of unit
    RAPTAR Red Class 3B Class 3B (adjustable flood) No Includes a laser range finder as part of unit, designators have slaved zeros
    ATPIAL-C Red Class 1 Class 3R (fixed flood) Yes Designators have slaved zeros, lower profile than DBALs
    DBAL-I² Class 1 dual spectrum Red or green Class 1 N/A Yes Cheap
    DBAL-I² Class 1 single spectrum N/A Class 1 Class 3R (adjustable flood) Yes Cheap, useful if no need for visible laser
    DBAL-D² Green Class 1 LED (adjustable flood) Yes Designators have slaved zeros, LED illuminator much longer range than Class 3R illuminators but bulky and has visible signature
    DBAL-A³ Class 1 Green Class 1 Class 3R (adjustable flood) Yes Visible override port (toggles visible laser and compatible WML together), designators have slaved zeros
    CQBL-1 Class 1 Red Class 1 N/A Yes Designators have slaved zeros, very compact so perfect for SBRs, SMGs, and PDWs
    RAPTAR ES Class 1 Red Class 1 Class 1 (adjustable flood) Yes Includes a laser range finder as part of unit, designators have slaved zeros
    RAPTAR Lite ES Class 1 Red Class 1 Class 1 (adjustable flood) Yes Includes a 300 lumen white light as part of unit, designators have slaved zeros
    X400V IRc N/A Class 1 LED (fixed flood) Yes Includes a 150 lumen white light as part of unit, primarily for pistols
    DBAL-PL Red or green Class 1 LED (fixed flood) Yes Includes a 400 lumen white light as part of unit, primarily for pistols, designators and illuminators of each spectrum turn on together
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 12-01-15 at 19:08.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Civilians can buy class 3 visible lasers without issues, and class 1 IR lasers without issues; note that the old designations of using Roman numerals has been superseded. Note that high powered IR illuminators available to civilians are LED-based, which means that they give off a visual signature in the dark, albeit a very faint one with limited viewing angles.
    You sir are a Saint! Thanks very very much!!! That is exactly what I was hoping for!!!!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The DBAL-PL was such a disappointment.. No option to toggle either light/laser both must be enabled. Waiting for the SBAL-PL now but I havent seen or read anything about it for months now.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    ETA: nvm
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 12-11-15 at 07:32.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast