Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How to shoot Part 1, 2

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    One of the big proponents of the squared up stance was the HK International Training Division. When I worked there that was the stance taught to control the tendency for full auto fire to climb high right (the path of least resistance on right handed shooters). It was described as feet, knees, hips, shoulders square to the target, with slight knee bend and forward weight transfer, IE: if you dropped a plum bomb from your chin it would hang in front of your knees. The toes of the strong side foot are about even with the heel of the support side foot and feet are about shoulder width apart.

It works well with a subgun, but for heavier recoiling weapons most shooters find it more efficient to open their stance, placing their support side foot further forward then the strong side foot. This change in foot position results in a more bladed stance.

I like a relatively squared up stance as it allow me better ability to move and traverse multiple targets. Having said that you do not want to be in a Sponge Bob stance (copyright LAV) with everything straight and square to the target standing upright as this will provide no recoil control.

The reality is that once the bullets start flying you won't be thinking about foot position. As long as your upper body is in an aggressive weight forward position you're on the right track.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe R. View Post
    I like a relatively squared up stance as it allow me better ability to move and traverse multiple targets. Having said that you do not want to be in a Sponge Bob stance (copyright LAV) with everything straight and square to the target standing upright as this will provide no recoil control.

The reality is that once the bullets start flying you won't be thinking about foot position. As long as your upper body is in an aggressive weight forward position you're on the right track.
    This is basically the stance I was trained with for carbine, and over the years I have moved my strong foot slightly backwards, and it is more comfortable to me, I can control accuracy and shoot more accurately than a fully bladed stance, and it is the same stance I use for pistol. I can also easily transition to a "fighting stance." But as you mentioned, I/we all need to be able to shoot from multiple positions in the case of a realistic, dynamic firefight. Train hard, Do what works.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    For shotgun/rifle I like to get a high hold with my support hand as far forward as possible. For really close targets I have my support hand a little further back I also use a bladed stance. Like this an AR will move VERY little. I use this stance for competition and training. I learned it in competition.

Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What's the prevailing consensus when it comes to support hand grip on an AR?

Ride it forward, with thumb pointed forward.

Ride it forward, wrap thumb around top of handguard.
    Best Regards,
    28_days

Feedback Score
    great thread, thanks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 28_days View Post
    I've tried all the latest fads in support hand grip. Not one of these city slicker techniques makes an earth shattering difference to me.

I'm waiting for someone to come out and say you need to hold the flash hider for fast and accurate delivery of fire.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    I've tried all the latest fads in support hand grip. Not one of these city slicker techniques makes an earth shattering difference to me.

I'm waiting for someone to come out and say you need to hold the flash hider for fast and accurate delivery of fire.

How did you measure any differences in time and control?
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 28_days View Post
    There is none . . . . at leat none that I know of. I've heard different ideas from instructors. I've spoken with some LE trainers. And, probably what we should all train with, I've spoken with a couple soldeier who served in Iraq, and the response was something to the effect of "Wherever the #&%! I can get a #$%! grip and hold on that lets me get a good shot at that #%$!'er shooting at us!"

Personally, early on after trying to figure out the support hand thing for a while I decided to put a QR vert grip/light on. After slight adjustments fore and aft I have loved it ever since.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrinD View Post
    There is none . . . . at leat none that I know of. I've heard different ideas from instructors. I've spoken with some LE trainers. And, probably what we should all train with, I've spoken with a couple soldeier who served in Iraq, and the response was something to the effect of "Wherever the #&%! I can get a #$%! grip and hold on that lets me get a good shot at that #%$!'er shooting at us!"

Personally, early on after trying to figure out the support hand thing for a while I decided to put a QR vert grip/light on. After slight adjustments fore and aft I have loved it ever since.
    Thanks. I think I'm going to put my support hand as far forward as possible and attempt to wrap my thumb around the handguards. Granted we'll see how well this works since I have fairly small hands.

I'm definitely going to go with a grip at some point, but I figure that's the least of my worries at this point.
    Best Regards,
    28_days

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Great thread! Thank you!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast