Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody messed with CFE 223?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Anybody messed with CFE 223?

Looking for a good metering powder that isn't flashy and temp stable. Been using H335 for mass blasting but this will be for defensive loads. 335 is a flamethrower out of my SBRs and isn't all that temp stable. I'll be loading some 50gr vmax and 62gr trophy bonded bear claws. CFE per the load data makes good velocity, it meters like water and the price isn't a concern so the only thing I'm really worried about is it being a spherical powder and having big velocity swings. I shoot down into the teens and up above 100 so temp stability is of a concern for a defensive load.

Planning to load them in LC brass with Tula small rifle magnum primers if it matters.
    Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have about a dozen pounds of it myself, and will be loading into LC brass with CCI small rifle primers. The Tula SRM primers are harder to find, and I can walk to Cabela's to get the CCI primers.

I'll be happy to share the results after I get to the range.

I also snagged some CFE Pistol, since Bullseye and Win 231 have been hard to find of late.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I have a pound of it I'm hoping to try, but it's kind of a side project. TAC and XBR are always available where I'm at. I'd be interested in a direct comparison between TAC and CFE.

Regarding CFE PISTOL, it became a favorite of mine once I found 8 pounders for $139 out the door. I've had luck with it in 9mm, 45acp, and 38 Super.

Feedback Score
    Tagging along for info. I have a couple of pounds I picked up to load some of the Nosler 64gr bsb because they had that listed as the best powder for those. From my readings on other forums it meters like water, burns clean and produces good velocity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by cwgibson; 11-01-15 at 17:28.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yep the only thing I'm worried about is temp stability. Everything else is good to go with. I'm hoping using the magnum primers will help light off the charge a bit more even.

My 8 twist 16" 308 is almost done and per some load data I've seen cfe should be great under 208 amaxs for it as well. Really hoping this stuff pans out. Would be nice to only stock one powder for 223 and 308 but since that'd be too easy it probably won't work out.
    Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71 View Post
    Yep the only thing I'm worried about is temp stability. Everything else is good to go with. I'm hoping using the magnum primers will help light off the charge a bit more even.

My 8 twist 16" 308 is almost done and per some load data I've seen cfe should be great under 208 amaxs for it as well. Really hoping this stuff pans out. Would be nice to only stock one powder for 223 and 308 but since that'd be too easy it probably won't work out.

Not an issue from what I have read. Accuracy is nice as well, again this is just what I am reading and hearing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've read it is and it isn't. Being a double base I'd lean towards temp sensitive but it's got some additional goodies added in. Some report big velocity swings others don't. Usually magnum primers can help reduce those swings some but I haven't been able to find much on that except one thread on accurate that said he got smaller SDs and ESs with magnum primers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It is my new go to powder, when I want to push the charge a bit, based primarily on availability. Loading it primarily in once fired LC brass with CCI SRP's and 77 grain SMK's or the tipped SMK's in addition to Hornady 75 grainers.

- It meters extremely well, very similar to 335.

- It burns pretty cleanly and doesn't leave a lot of crud lying about your rifle. (It is even supposed to eliminate Cu Fouling, but I haven't noticed.)

- It is accurate, but I do not yet have any Chronograph data for this powder. I have a pretty large supply of it as well so will be using it quite a bit also and will eventually get some chronograph data.

I've not used it long enough to give any information as to the relative temp sensitivity.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-01-15 at 18:44.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71 View Post
    Usually magnum primers can help reduce those swings some but I haven't been able to find much on that except one thread on accurate that said he got smaller SDs and ESs with magnum primers.
    I've NEVER found magnum primers to help reduce SDs. The mildest primer you can reliably get ignition from is usually the best approach. I only run magnum primers for blaster ammo. The Wolf/Tula mild primers have given us outstanding SDs and accuracy.

Similar results in .300 WinMag. We had to stick to LR primers because the LRM didn't give us good groups.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I've found the opposite to be true I have always found magnum primers to raise the sd at any charge by atleast 15

In my testing CFE likes to be run on the hotter side but I haven't been all to impressed. It's the only powder the throws brass @ 2 o'clock for me where I can't retrieve it and the smell is kind of annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast