Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody messed with CFE 223?

Feedback Score
    I've found the opposite to be true I have always found magnum primers to raise the sd at any charge by atleast 15

In my testing CFE likes to be run on the hotter side but I haven't been all to impressed. It's the only powder the throws brass @ 2 o'clock for me where I can't retrieve it and the smell is kind of annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boombotz401 View Post
    I've found the opposite to be true I have always found magnum primers to raise the sd at any charge by atleast 15
    Yep. I never quantified it, but getting SDs in the 10 or lower range always involved a mild primer. Wolf SRM (Small Rifle Magnums) by the way are are mild primers, and apparently magnum in the cup thickness dimension only.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just finished loading 100 tonight.

LC '13 Brass trimmed / chamferred on my Giraud to "book" spec
    CCI SRP
    23.8gr CFE223 *Not a single charge was off using my Charge Master with a golden arches straw
    77 gr Sierra TMK
    OAL 2.260

I put some extra time, that I don't normally, into this batch cleaning and uniforming the primer pockets. Generally I've found it to be a waste of time, but figured why not for this batch.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-03-15 at 21:52.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I just finished loading 100 tonight.

LC '13 Brass trimmed / chamferred on my Giraud to "book" spec
    CCI SRP
    23.8gr CFE223 *Not a single charge was off using my Charge Master with a golden arches straw
    77 gr Sierra TMK
    OAL 2.260

I put some extra time, that I don't normally, into this batch cleaning and uniforming the primer pockets. Generally I've found it to be a waste of time, but figured why not for this batch.
    I'm rolling the same, just using 23.7 grains of CFE with some 77 SMKs. unbelievable combo.

I have had great success with that powder in my 5.56 as well as in my Grendel shooting the heavies like the new AR 130 VLD's
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Loaded up some rounds for my gunsmith to test in his rifle in preparation for Manners finally getting me my stock after 10 months. Hes building mine with the same reamer and bartlein blank so why not use his barrel life to develop the loads instead of mine right?

My main intention with CFE 223 is to get a pretty accurate load that meters great on the Dillon 550 so I can spend less time loading and more time shooting.

25.4gr under 75gr Amax loaded to 2.46(for my 22" 223 bolt gun match chamber with long throat do not copy) got me respectable ESs and SDs. Seems to run just fine with the wolf SRM primers. Across the temp ranges we tested it at, it performed decently well. Not as good as the hodgdon extreme line of powders but this can also be loaded on the Dillon.

The numbers I got out of it aren't what Id call benchrest accurate but for a mass blasting 223 load for training I think itll be awesome. With this info I think itll work just fine as long as when I plan on stretching it out past 600yds I plug the temp into my ballistics calculator. For matches/hunting Ill probably load varget but for practice CFE looks like itll do great.
    Ambient ~70*

After laying on the hot radiator

From the freezer

Havent temp tested it in 308 yet but in 45* weather it shows some promise. Lapua brass, federal 210 primers with CFE again. These are out of an 8 twist 16" hart barrel so in my opinion theyre pretty damn fast given the barrel length. Top is 175 SMKs at 2.81 over 46.5gr, its a little warm for warmer weather and I don't intend on shooting 175s again so Im not going to mess with it. This barrel was made to shoot heavy for 308 weight pills and was just for break in but I imagine dropping the charge a couple tenths or stretching the COL out a bit more would allow me to run these in warmer weather but they were loaded just for barrel break in. The numbers I was really interested in were the 208 amaxs. 2350fps is the crossover point where I needed to get the 208s for them to outrun my 178 load from a 24" barrel and it achieved that easily. At 1000yds they have the same come up but 40% more energy and a few tenths less wind all from an 8" shorter barrel. With the faster twist it should make the supersonic transition well. May even get retarded and try em at a mile on a calm day but Ill need a custom base to get that crazy.

With a few more tweaks I think Im really going to like this rifle. Needs paint, bolt fluted and probably going to run my specwar on it for bench work and the omega for hunting. Once I see if I really like this combo, Ill redo it but in a Manners T2FA, stiller action and proof barrel with either NF ATACR F1 4-16 or MK6 3-18 and a TBAC ultra 5.

If it runs well in these two Im going to try it in some other 223 loads for the AR and a 125/130gr 308 load.
    Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have used it a little. With 62gr armscor bullets cci primers and 25.0 CFE-223 it looks like a good plinking round. Accuracy is decent, cycles in my BCM mid with H buffer. I still like w748 better but I found the cfe cheap and available when I needed it.

Feedback Score
    I've had pretty good luck with it using LC 14 brass CCI 5.56 primers and 69 grain SMK's Running 24.7grains of CFE out of the Dillon 550. So far It has been right at an inch for 10 rounds out of an Aero 18" SPR ish build. Haven't been able to stretch it's legs past 240 yds yet but seems promising. I also agree it seems to run much cleaner at hotter load levels. Just ran up a couple of test loads with the 77 grain SMK and a the 73 grain Berger but haven't had a chance to get them to the range yet due to the funky weather.

Feedback Score
    This will be great help for me as I am hoping to use it with the Nosler 64 gr. BSB as well. Looking forward to feedback on this powder.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Any new or fresh info on this powder?
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score

Anybody messed with CFE 223?

Ran 27.2gr on a 55 hornady fmj @ 2.200

Ran about 2950 on a 16" AR

was nothing that stood out to me, had a smell that drove me nuts no other powder had

Stopped using it once I finished what I had and moved on

AR comp has become my go to over H335

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by boombotz401; 08-03-17 at 19:14.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast