Thread: First AK: Bulgarian Arsenal SLR100H by Intrac

Feedback Score

Question First AK: Bulgarian Arsenal SLR100H by Intrac

I just won this on GB.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=515974772

Did I do "OK". I know I didn't steal it, but I am hoping I didn't get beat up TOO bad?
    Please tell me what you think? I read up on it as much as I could. Parts gun, quality components for the most part.
    Thanks for your time,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashew View Post
    I just won this on GB.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=515974772

Did I do "OK". I know I didn't steal it, but I am hoping I didn't get beat up TOO bad?
    Please tell me what you think? I read up on it as much as I could. Parts gun, quality components for the most part.
    Thanks for your time,
    Mike
    Typically one would ask these sorts of questions before making a purchase...
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."- Claire Wolfe

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CCK View Post
    Typically one would ask these sorts of questions before making a purchase...
    That was helpful, thank you.
    Hows my spelling and punctuation?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Looks interesting.

I've never heard of these. I actually clicked on this thread planning to say that all Arsenal Bulgaria guns get imported through Arsenal USA and Intrac was the original importer of Romanian AKs back when everyone was like, "Holy crap... AKs!"

I guess it all hinges on the meaning of this statement:

Built many years ago with forged/milled Bulgarian receiver and unissued condition Hungarian milled parts, along with U.S. parts
    Built by who?
    How many years ago?
    What US Commercial parts?
    Made by who?
    Is the barrel Hungarian?

Lots of question marks here...

Is anyone else familiar with a Bulgarian/Hungarian milled gun by Intrac?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Reaching way back in the memory banks, I seem to remember that Intrac imported the (bare) receivers.

At that time there were "Type III" Hungarian milled receiver parts kits being imported. The exteriors of the Hungarian parts kits were generally in great shape cosmetically. There were a significant number of them that while looking great on the outside, the bores that had excessive amounts of throat erosion. I was unlucky and bought one of the kits with excessive throat erosion.

There was an outfit in Rock Hill, SC that assembled a relatively large number of the Intrac Bulgy receivers and the Hungarian parts kits into rifles that received great reviews. Seems like it was the group that originally marketed what has become the "G2" trigger that is sold by TAPCO - maybe Gordon Industries? My memory is hazy on that and I couldn't find anything in a quick Google search. Since the Bulgarian receivers were press & pin and the Hungarian barrels are designed for a threaded receiver, the Hungarian barrels had to be turned down to fit into the receivers.

There were also other gunsmiths (professional and amateur) that assembled rifles with the Intrac Bulgy receivers with varying degrees of competence. Also, those bare receivers were available on the secondary market for years.

Since it looks like the OP's rifle has a "gill" muzzle brake, it would be interesting to see if it is permanently attached. That would indicate to me that it was assembled during the '94 AWB (before 2004) which was when those receivers/kits were mainly imported.

It would also be interesting to see if there are any other markings on the rifle's receiver. I seem to remember that the Rock Hill, SC builders made a discreet marking on the receiver to identify their rifles.

HTH

Feedback Score
    If it shoots as nicely as it looks, you did pretty well for a milled AK.

Feedback Score
    http://www.theakforum.net/forums/23-...rce-guide.html

Good info here. Scroll down past the Arsenal stuff. It sounds like the receiver is good to go but it depends on who put it together. It definitely looks like a classic milled receiver. (type III) . I would consider converting the stock set to make it look like an old fashion Soviet milled AK

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    http://www.theakforum.net/forums/23-...rce-guide.html

Good info here. Scroll down past the Arsenal stuff. It sounds like the receiver is good to go but it depends on who put it together. It definitely looks like a classic milled receiver. (type III) . I would consider converting the stock set to make it look like an old fashion Soviet milled AK
    WOW, Excellent information there! I will post back when I receive the rifle and check out any manufacturers marks that may be present.
    I am just looking for a blaster and I thought the price looked OK for a milled AK.
    Thanks for the help, everyone!