Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson Manufacturing Lowers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62NATO View Post
    With high-quality, in-spec lowers abundantly available on the market, it begs the question, "why?"
    Last time I checked Aero Precision sells receivers in the white.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SLewis View Post
    Last time I checked Aero Precision sells receivers in the white.
    Interesting. I will be contacting them tomorrow. Thanks!

ETA: you're the man - thanks!

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-str...-uncoated.html

Now I just need to convince MVB to sell me their ARC stock unfinished and either Geissele, SLR, or Midwest Industries to sell me a 7" handguard unfinished.
    Last edited by El Cid; 11-30-15 at 21:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ncshooter18 View Post
    I bought one of these a while back and just went to install a FCG. I noticed that one of the walls was thicker than the other, causing the trigger and hammer pins to fit flush on one side and stick out the other side.
    I just checked Aero, Anderson, Alexander, Bushmaster, Colt, CMMG, Rock River, S&W and Spike's lower receivers. Only the Bushmaster, S&W and Spike's lowers have receiver walls that visually appear to be the same thickness. Guess what the worst of the bunch was. It was the Colt! I measured the walls with my calipers. The right side was 0.015" thicker than the left.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I built out an Anderson I had in the safe thanksgiving day. Went together in about 20 minutes without a problem, even with a couple interruptions by the wife.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I just checked Aero, Anderson, Alexander, Bushmaster, Colt, CMMG, Rock River, S&W and Spike's lower receivers. Only the Bushmaster, S&W and Spike's lowers have receiver walls that visually appear to be the same thickness. Guess what the worst of the bunch was. It was the Colt! I measured the walls with my calipers. The right side was 0.015" thicker than the left.
    So does this look alright to you guys?

Feedback Score

Totally unusable. I'll take it off your hands.

Feedback Score
    I think it will make a perfectly workable rifle. I'm a pretty anal retentive engineer and the cosmetics of it don't really bother me. Of course if it bothers you, that's all that really matters. Buy and build what you want. Based on what I found, I just wouldn't assume that spending more money on a receiver will equate to equal wall thickness. Definitely examine them in person.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I think it will make a perfectly workable rifle. I'm a pretty anal retentive engineer and the cosmetics of it don't really bother me. Of course if it bothers you, that's all that really matters. Buy and build what you want. Based on what I found, I just wouldn't assume that spending more money on a receiver will equate to equal wall thickness. Definitely examine them in person.
    I wonder if the variability is in the forging and not the machining.

Putting my machinist hat on for a second, whether done via cnc or manual machining, they'll be locating their zero point the same every time, say hypothetically the outside left edge of the reciever if looking from the back.

As the die wears the forging could get larger externally by some amount.

With those two conditions you would end up with a pocket that's not exactly centered.

To counteract that you'd have to locate both the left and right edge, find the centerline, then mill out from center.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I purchased two Anderson lowers from a LGS a couple months ago and one went together very tightly. Almost too hard to get the pins to seat properly. The other lower was pretty easy to assemble. I think they are a great deal.

Feedback Score
    Anderson's are fine, but if you have a choice, and the few extra $'s is not a make or break deal, go with Aero. I have several of each and I just like my Aero lowers better. Functionality, and assembly wise the Anderson's have given me no trouble, the Aero's just seem to be a better "finished" product.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast