Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spare upper or spare rifle?

Feedback Score

Spare upper or spare rifle?

I've decided I want to have two range AR's: one with iron sights and one with optics so I can easily stay in practice with both rather than swapping out sights, having to verify zero, etc.

Would it be better to save money and just have two different uppers, or in the long term would there be issues with swapping out uppers on the same lower all the time? In other words, am I better off just buying another rifle dedicated to one type of sight or another?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Here's an affordable option. Buy the upper now. Then deck it out how you want. That will allow you to save some money on the front end. Then, you wait until Grant has some BCM blew lowers in stock. You buy a blem lower when you can and put the rifle together. This gets you the upper now, and the lower when you can recover a bit. Win win. :-)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get the upper and a stripped lower that you can build up as funds allow. That way there you can shoot both now on one lower, and have two complete ones eventually with no fear of panic pricing.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If you have the cash, my choice would definitely be to get a second rifle. There'd be no need to switch uppers, you'd have the benefits of it being a whole weapon system on its own, and in the long run, i doubt the price or availability is going to get any better than it is now

Feedback Score
    I was in your boat once, then realized for a few hundred bucks more, you can get a whole, separate, functioning, rifle. I would say go ahead and just make it a separate rifle.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Wow. Hillary will be POTUS in 7 months, rumblings of a gun control "compromise" are all over the news after a 14hr Dem Fillibuster and people are still recommending get just an upper.

Here's some advice: Don't buy a mother****ing thing that isn't an AR15 lower receiver, a 30rd magazine, or ammunition for the next year.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Wow. Hillary will be POTUS in 7 months, rumblings of a gun control "compromise" are all over the news after a 14hr Dem Fillibuster and people are still recommending get just an upper.

Here's some advice: Don't buy a mother****ing thing that isn't an AR15 lower receiver, a 30rd magazine, or ammunition for the next year.
    Already practicing exactly that.

Trouble is, I need to add an optic or two and so funds are going to be tight if I do all of the above.

I'm thinking the optic is toward the bottom of the list of things that will be banned or restricted, and hi-cap mags have got to be at the top of the list.

But I may not have the funds for a bunch of hi-cap mags and a complete spare rifle athough I admit that's the ideal scenario.

Hence, I want people to talk me into a complete rifle or not.

Feedback Score
    Forget about optics for now. You can always pick one up later. Like you said, focus on lowers, hi-cap mags, and uppers right now. You can get stripped Aero lowers for around $70-90 and they seem to have a favorable view here on M4C.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I hear you, but I would just bail on the whole dual-use idea until you had enough to your name that will last you and yours potentially forever. I hate to sound like an alarmist but AIM has already sold out of all their lowers, IG mentioned a company that sold 130k PMAGs....in three days.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I hear you, but I would just bail on the whole dual-use idea until you had enough to your name that will last you and yours potentially forever. I hate to sound like an alarmist but AIM has already sold out of all their lowers, IG mentioned a company that sold 130k PMAGs....in three days.
    I know...I know...I've been watching inventories on several websites. I'm thinking it's already too late and we're in another panic already. I'm at the point I'd start a Go-Fund-Me account if I could do it without committing fraud.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast