Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leupold VX-6 1-6 "Multigun" & Mark 6 1-6

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Question Leupold VX-6 1-6 "Multigun" & Mark 6 1-6

After searching the web for a few hours, I have yet to find conclusive first-hand information comparing the VX6 (Multigun) and MK6 1-6 scopes. Unfortunately my LGS does not carry either options so I don't have any firsthand experience with them. For those of you who've purchased one or both of these options, putting price aside, could you give me insight as to which you prefer and why? Any help would be appreciated guys, I'm planning on purchasing one before the end of this year.
    "Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry
    "Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people." Proverbs 14:34

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I've owned the MK6 and the standard version of the VX-6 1-6x. The multigun version has a different reticle but is otherwise the same scope. What do you want to do with the scope, and is price any consideration?

Short comments:

Mark 6
    Pros: awesome glass quality
    great reticle in the CMR-W
    very good illumination

Cons: 34mm tube limits mount options
    20mm objective limits exit pupil
    I felt that the controls seemed small, light and borderline flimsy for the price point and intended use

VX-6
    Pros: extremely light
    great field of view

Cons: glass quality did not impress me for its price point and competition
    rather basic reticle in non-multigun versions

In that price ballpark, the Vortex Razor 1-6x is an extremely solid choice and tough competition for all others. It might also be worth looking at the very new Primary Arms 1-8x that is made in Japan, offered at $1299 and looks like it might be a great optic, although I've only read a single review so far.

Feedback Score
    I have the VX-6. It has fit its role well, and I am happy with it.

I wanted/built a gun for 3-gun competition. It has an A-1 fixed stock, Geissele SSA trigger, Brownells lightweight 16" barrel, and ALG forend and muzzle brake.

My reasoning here is that 3-gun is not a terribly long distance endeavor, and benefits from speedy target engagements. So, I went with the short, light barrel for speed but with the attendant loss of velocity. Ammo would most likely be M193 or equivalent. So, I think the gun is well-suited for engagements out to about 4-500 yards or so. Anything beyond that, I can either hope for the best or switch to a DMR-type rifle with different ammo.

I considered a variety of sighting options and chose the VX-6. At about $1,000, it has sufficient quality and durability for my needs. It is true 1x power and the illuminated dot/semi-circle is good for close stuff. At the anticipated max distances, the dot is fine enough and the lines of the reticle, though interrupted by the dot, are close enough for distant shots. The dimensions of the radius inside and outside the horseshoe, etc. can all be used for windage holdoffs. At the high end of magnification, 6x is running out of steam by 4-500 yards, but this is not a long distance platform.

In sum, I think the VX-6, the gun as built, and the ammo are all balanced with each other, and each functions within the other's limitations, i.e., I didn't put snow tires on a Ferrari.

The illuminated portion of the reticle turns on when the rifle is moved and turns off when it is stationary. One less thing to deal with. It is super nice on the "pizza box" targets.

The downside to the reticle is that it is calibrated for M855. That is not the ammo I use, and, if I did, with the different barrel length, etc., the odds of the actual trajectory matching up with the hash marks is slim. However, I did write to Leupold customer service. They sent me a PDF of the reticle with the actual MOAs between marks. At some point, I will need to sit down with a ballistics calculator and figure out the actual yardages for the hash marks.

The other disappointment is that I can't find a lever to easily change the scope magnification. I have tried several sizes of Switchviews with no joy. Other than the "universal" Switchview, if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Thank you for your input guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    What do you want to do with the scope, and is price any consideration?
    I would like to be able to use this scope on 5.56 and .308 AR platforms. I hunt coyotes, 3 gun competition, & carbine courses. Price isn't an issue at the moment, I'm willing to spent the extra money on the MK6 if it's a superior performer.
    Do the controls feel more sturdy on the VX-6 than the MK6? What makes the controls seem "flimsy"? Concerning clarity and light transmission, how much of a noticeable difference was there?
    Appreciate it guys.
    "Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry
    "Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people." Proverbs 14:34

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red falcon View Post
    Thank you for your input guys.
    I would like to be able to use this scope on 5.56 and .308 AR platforms. I hunt coyotes, 3 gun competition, & carbine courses. Price isn't an issue at the moment, I'm willing to spent the extra money on the MK6 if it's a superior performer.
    Do the controls feel more sturdy on the VX-6 than the MK6? What makes the controls seem "flimsy"? Concerning clarity and light transmission, how much of a noticeable difference was there?
    Appreciate it guys.
    Going from memory here because I sold both scopes more than a year ago:

-The VX-6 has few exposed controls, just magnification and a pushbutton for illumination, and a fast focus (common style) ocular adjustment. The W/E dials are under caps, which is good, but they are a pull up to reset style, which I like on other brands but I really don't think Leupold implemented it well - they are somewhat hard to pull up and it feels like you could rip them completely off when using enough force to lift them. Not as user-friendly as what Vortex and Nikon offer on much lower priced scopes. The VX-6 doesn't feel bombproof like a Nightforce, Steiner Military or ACOG, but it seems OK, as long as you aren't resetting the W/E much.

-The Mark 6 has exposed W/E dials with a tiny button to push to move them (unlock them), it has a rotary illumination control that seems OK but has a funny little door for the battery, and what really bugged me was it has a locking ocular focus with the world's smallest locking ring on a moving part that itself is quite small and looks thin. I am basing this opinion just on appearance and feel, not any actual failure, but the scope didn't inspire confidence.

-For clarity, both scopes are good as they should be at $900 to double that. The VX-6 never seemed really, really crisp at 6x when compared to other scopes including the Razor 1-6x, SWFA 1-6x, and Burris 1-5x XTRII. It was nice and bright. The Mark 6 had terrific clarity, which to my eyes was better than all of those competing scopes (only the Razor is really in the same league). I don't remember any issues of brightness, but I always prefer larger exit pupils and I can't quite understand why they put a 20mm objective in a 34mm tube, when everyone else puts a 24mm objective in a 30mm tube, and Burris recently put a 28mm objective in a 34mm tube.

If the Mark 6 had felt robust like the Razor it would probably be my favorite low magnification scope. But I lacked confidence in it, which I won't accept at that price, and I was able to sell it for what I had paid for it.

Do you get LE/mil discount on Leupold? That would be the only way I'd consider the Mark 6 in light of competing offerings like the Razor 1-6x. I also think the Burris XTRII 1-5x offers 95% of the benefits of the VX-6 multigun at a somewhat lower price point. If you want something US-made, Euro Optic still has an amazing blowout deal on the Steiner Military 1-4x, which originally sold for close to $2k and is now $699 on clearance for what is supposed to a terrific scope. (Although Steiner is a German brand, the 4x zoom range Military series is assembled in the USA, in Colorado.) Not ideal for some of your uses, but nothing short of a 1-8x or 1-10x is really going to be great for both hunting and 3-gun style use.

http://www.eurooptic.com/steiner1x-4...le-scope.aspx#

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I had both the Razor 1-6x and Mk6. I ended up selling the Razor. The MK6 was lighter, had a better reticle, and seemed 'flatter' at 1x. The FFP seemed to help me acquire targets faster at 1x too, you may be different though.

I finally fully appreciated the CMR-W reticle a couple weeks ago after shooting in high winds at 300-400yards. Once I guesstimated the windspeed the holds on the reticle worked great, and helped me get consistent hits.

The downside is the funky illumination with the MK6, it tends to disappear if your head is not perfect. When shooting in low-light, the flashlight helped to see the non-illuminated reticle, which I consider a drawback. If the illumination was not weird, the scope would be near perfect for me.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    There is a new VX6 that Leupold was showing at the Fallen Brethren 3-Gun. Really nice, bright dot, 2nd Focal Plane, with a BDC that incorporates 5 MPH wind holds.

They're intended to be zeroed at 200, which I don't really prefer, but works well with a pretty wide range of ammo in applicable guns.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane1844 View Post
    The downside is the funky illumination with the MK6, it tends to disappear if your head is not perfect.
    Mine did this also, and I've read that it's normal for the scope. Supposedly there was a production change sometime after the first 6-12 months that reduced the issue, but I'm not sure if my scope was before or after that change.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    SomeOtherGuy,
    What optic are you running now? The Vortex Razor does look very sturdy, however I've ruled that option out due to the excess in weight - hopefully they come out with a lighter option with the same performance potential for 2016. Nope, no discount- just been saving up to trade out my old Trijicon 3x. That Steiner looks like a good deal, wish it was at least 1-6.

Zane1844,
    That's interesting to hear! I know a lot of guys say that the Razor is one of the fastest scopes for target acquisition. Do you notice having issues with using different bullet weights using the CMR-W reticle?

Failure2Stop,
    That really sounds interesting. I looked it up online but didn't see any information on it yet, do you think that option will be a new release for 2016?

Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red falcon View Post
    SomeOtherGuy,
    What optic are you running now? The Vortex Razor does look very sturdy, however I've ruled that option out due to the excess in weight - hopefully they come out with a lighter option with the same performance potential for 2016. Nope, no discount- just been saving up to trade out my old Trijicon 3x. That Steiner looks like a good deal, wish it was at least 1-6.
    I sold the 1-6x Razor also, due to its weight (porky) and the very large ocular bell that interfered with some BUIS options. Sometimes I regret selling it and debate getting another, but so far I haven't.

I'm using three low magnification scopes right now and still deciding what I like best:

1) Trijicon TR-24 1-4x24 with red triangle. This is simple and very light, and no worries about the illumination failing (for 10+ years in dark, and indefinitely in daylight). This is not a precision scope but within its design limits I like it very well. I can get consistent hits on steel at 300 yards, but it's not a good reticle or setup for anything farther.

2) Bushnell Elite SMRS 1-6.5x24 with BTR-1 reticle in second focal plane. On paper this is a do-everything. I'm still evaluating it, but I like it pretty well. I would prefer standard crosshairs over the circle reticle, but it's useable. The 1x is true and very useful, and 6.5x is great at extended range. Eyebox is better than the Mark 6 (if you want to see illumination) but not as good as the Razor. Although the stated FOV at 1x is 105ft, which is only slightly above average, the black outer ring basically disappears from view at 1x and it's just as useable with both eyes open as the Razor and VX-6 that have wider FOV at 1x.

3) Browe BTO 4x32. Very similar to an ACOG but with electronic illumination. Optical clarity is great, and FOV is very good. Being a fixed power it's not ideal for really close in use. But it is small, reasonably light, and nearly indestructible. FYI, the ACOG design is off patent and Brian Browe was Trijicon's chief engineer for a long time, so this has a good pedigree.

Using the Browe and some other nice glass, I find that really clear glass at 4x lets me take the same shots with the same accuracy as less clear glass at 6x or more. I also shoot F-class and find the same is true at higher magnifications - I've shot better scores with great glass at 12x than with very good glass at 24x. Higher magnification means smaller exit pupils and more parallax, so it's beneficial to maximize your overall capability at lower magnification if you can. That is not to say that you can win at F-class or benchrest with the world's clearest 2.5x scope, of course, just that more magnification is not the only answer to distance.

While I'm very happy with my three current scopes, if I were buying today I would also look at the Nightforce 1-4x and the $699 clearance Steiner I mentioned above.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast