Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customized Colt 6920

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Customized Colt 6920

My brother owns this Colt 6920. Since suffering a broken shoulder after a motorcycling accident, he has never had the same range of motion as before (think Sen. John McCain). The factory rifle is a fine rifle by itself, but I wanted to do something nice for him. My brother has shown me some amazing generosity recently and I wanted to pay him back. My intention was to leave the reliable colt guts alone and only "spruce" up the gun with the added accessories. I also wanted to keep the gun light or lighter than factory.

The rifle was a (2012 vintage) plain jane, bone stock Colt 6920. I first started by removing the front sight base/post and cutting it down to a pinned gas block. This was a first for me and I was a bit apprehensive. A little work with an angle grinder, grinding wheel, and aluminum black and the job was complete.

I wanted to replace the standard handguard with a new BCM KMR-A to give him a bit more room and accessory mounting options. I went with the 15" variety because it was only a couple more bucks difference in price. I also purchased a BCM Comp Mod 0 muzzle device and Mod 4 gunfighter charging handle for the upper. I topped off the upper with new Arms Inc. flip up polymer sights to help maintain the lighter weight.

On the lower, I replaced the butt stock, pistol grip, and trigger guard with the new BCM variety. I also replaced the factory GI trigger with a Geissele S2S that I had already.

Here is the gas block completed and on the barrel.

The finished product:

The final weight on the bathroom scale with irons only and no magazine was 6.6 lbs. Per Colt's site, the standard 6920 is 6.9 lbs. The rifle feels quick to target in hand. I will be throwing a spare Aimpoint Comp M that I have with ADM qd mount to send back to him. I tested the gun and it functions perfectly.

My brother has no idea that I did this to his rifle, so I'm hoping these mods will put the wow factor in his rifle when he sees it. What do you guys think ? Do you think a H2 buffer would be a beneficial addition ?

Thanks for looking.
    Life's a risk, enjoy the adventure - HOPLOETHOS

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's hoping your brother isn't a hardcore 'front sight post' fanatic.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slvr Surfr View Post
    ....My brother has no idea that I did this to his rifle.....
    Hope he is open minded.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    He is a new shooter and open minded. I don't think he'll be upset with the upgrades by any means.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    Here's hoping your brother isn't a hardcore 'front sight post' fanatic.
    No worries there.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That looks great. Hope he enjoys the hell out of it.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Looks great! Take your bro shooting, and I bet he will like it just fine.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Nice work! I'm sure he will love it

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Looks good! I don't know why, but I love seeing modernized Colts with long handguards. Looks good on them.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you Gents. My brother got his rifle back Friday and loved it. He initially thought I sent him the wrong gun, until he saw the standing pony.
    Life's a risk, enjoy the adventure - HOPLOETHOS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast