Thread: PSA 9mm Ar Build

Feedback Score

PSA 9mm Ar Build

decided to keep the build simple and start with a complete upper kit, and lower parts kit for 9mm from PSA
    the price was right and wanted to make sure that I wouldnt have any hidden issues if I had pieced it together from misc brands

got it built quick, tested once and ran perfectly so happy about that
    really love the 9mm AR shoots great

Dare I say the perfect 9mm carbine

I think I got this build in right at $600
    To me thats a good price for being able to order everything online and assemble at home

I have a spacer for the spring coming in, right now im using 10 quarters since I had did alot of reading about broken bolt catches
    other then that I dont plan on doing anything else , but shooting the crap out of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQnF81PQgIk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like it a lot. What kind of range and accuracy do you get from a 9mm AR?
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    I had very limited area to shoot, maybe 25 yards
    so cant say on how accurate it is far away

I would assume with the longer barrel probably a decent distance

but what I was shooting at, cans, rocks, steel targets it hit what I aimed at
    and this was no sight adjustments at all, pretty much dead on with the sights standing up

Feedback Score
    I bought one of the PSA kits last year. The magazine well block that comes with the kit requires using a special bolt catch. I did not want a dedicated lower just to use their bolt catch and mag block.

I had an extra Hahn top adapter that dropped into an existing AR/5.56 lower to use with the PSA 9mm upper. However, nearly every round comes out of the magazine, the bullet nose hits the top of the chamber, the case head sticks on the bolt face, and the round just sits there at about a 45 degree angle. If you withdraw the charging handle/bolt a little to relieve the pressure on the case, it falls into the chamber and fires fine. It happens with all ammo types - FMJ, HP, 115, 147, etc.

I have an AR 9mm pistol with a Hahn bottom adapter. It runs great with any ammo. I am using the same magazines in both guns.

All the feeding surfaces/geometry of the two Hahn adapters and the PSA adapter all look the same. The placement of the blocks in the two lowers looks good.

One upcoming test is to try the rifle upper on the pistol lower. Obviously can't try the pistol upper on the rifle lower until some paperwork comes back.

Other than a polish on the bolt face (or dumping the 9mm upper), any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    I suppose there could be different mag blocks mine uses the standard bolt catch
    drops in from the top PSA brand
    I know the only one I see them sell is $100 looks like the one they sent me

this is what I got

I see the upper is on sale now $30 cheaper
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...cg-and-ch.html

and for me since I was doing my own lower build it was more convenient to purchase this as a kit rather then piecing it out
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/cata...sult/?q=504367

Do you know what type of BCG yours uses
    I know the non ramped BCG needs a special hammer from what I had read
    Why I was happy this very inexpensive upper came with the ramped BCG from what ive read thats a better feature too although im not really sure what it does

I also know someone with a cnc 80% lower that uses an allen screw to hold on the mag catch I guess the ar 10 lowers use this too, this would be a nice option to use as you can easily slip out the PSA mag block and convert quickly to another caliber
    One negative I guess using a drop in block you would have to punch out the pin
    Last edited by Chunky_Lover; 11-10-15 at 11:51.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky_Lover View Post
    decided to keep the build simple and start with a complete upper kit, and lower parts kit for 9mm from PSA
    the price was right and wanted to make sure that I wouldnt have any hidden issues if I had pieced it together from misc brands

got it built quick, tested once and ran perfectly so happy about that
    really love the 9mm AR shoots great

Dare I say the perfect 9mm carbine

I think I got this build in right at $600
    To me thats a good price for being able to order everything online and assemble at home

I have a spacer for the spring coming in, right now im using 10 quarters since I had did alot of reading about broken bolt catches
    other then that I dont plan on doing anything else , but shooting the crap out of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQnF81PQgIk
    Great price point for that gun! simple, functional, and still looks SICK!
    know The Basics At A Superbowl Level. (I Think Larry Vickers Said That...)

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I did one up a while ago. Overall pretty good. I used an Anderson lower. Went together like clockwork. A couple problems I ran into were trigger pin walking constantly, psa mags gave intermittent ftf. I would do another one if they get dirt cheap again. Just wish it was lighter.