Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: low round count training drills

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Then go eat chicken fried steak.
    There happens to be a PHENOMENAL CFS at Rockett Cafe about 20 minutes from the range. They have 2 sizes: huge and huger along with a baked potato that I think was cultivated outside a nuke plant.

You are in Ft. Worth right? Come down to Waxahachie to ETTS some time and ill buy the CFS at Rockett.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    In the words of my pistol sensei, Waxahachie is a cultural mecca of Texas.

Darryl Bolke gave me this:

LAPD “D” Platoon Qualification Course “A”

(From Darryl Bolke)

All starts from low ready (not contact ready)

Range Action Time Rounds/Reps Total

25 yards Pair 4.0 seconds 2 x 3 6 – 6

15 yards Pair 3.0 seconds 2 x 3 6 – 12

10 yards Failure 3.5 seconds 3 x 2 6 – 18

7 yards Failure 3.0 seconds 3 x 2 6 – 24

5 yards Failure 2.5 seconds 3 x 2 6 – 30

3 yards Failure 2.0 seconds 3 x 2 6 – 36

10>3 yards 6/1 Failure Unspecified 7 X 2 14 – 50
    (~6.0 seconds)

Variations:

Use this course as a base. You can add holster work and add 1.0-1.5 seconds per repetition. You can shoot the course in gas masks, at night, one-handed, etc. to achieve other skills training. The course uses 50 rounds of ammunition, which eliminates the hundreds of "how many rounds do we need?” questions. A tactical load should also be required at the end of every string prior to movement to the next phase. Also introduced was a 360-degree scan prior to holstering or movement.

Another possible modification can be done during the moving phase. Have the officers set up with only seven rounds in the gun and seven in their last magazine. Then have them shoot to slide lock on the advance, perform a slide lock reload, and then shoot from three yards back to 10 yards while withdrawing on command.

To reinforce the concept of fighting in a 360-degree world, start the shooters facing uprange with their backs to the targets in an "indoor ready". Then on command, the shooters turn and engage without ever having a muzzle cross the body part of another shooter. This type of training helps reinforce muzzle discipline in both training and the real world. Another variation could involve having the shooters fire their controlled pair, take a side step, and then engage the head shot. Throughout, the course remains the same, but the addition of “twists” helps to achieve different training goals and competencies.

The list of variations was given to me by Darryl, I did not make them up. He also provided me the copy of the drill. They also have a "B" drill and a course used by retired officers to qualify for a CHL, I believe. They are both good drills as well. And if you throw any shots out of the black, you fail with an automatic DQ.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    In the words of my pistol sensei, Waxahachie is a cultural mecca of Texas.

10>3 yards 6/1 Failure Unspecified 7 X 2 14 – 50
    (~6.0 seconds)

On this mover would it be 1 rep moving towards the target and 1 rep backing away from the target? Or does it not matter? both towards, both away depending on what you want to work on?

I assume you are familiar with the Rockett chicken fried steak then. My offer stands.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    "The Test" courtesy of LAV, in the recent M4C newsletter.

One of the things I did in this class was offer to demonstrate a drill known as “The Test” (also known as the 10-10-10 drill) using a student’s pistol. The Test is a simple drill and a very good one; 10 shots from the ready in 10 seconds at a B-8 bullseye replacement center from 10 yards. Each shot in the white outside the black is one second added to your score and each shot off the white paper is 3 seconds. So in order to pass with one shot out of the black and in the white your raw time must be under 9 seconds, with 2 shots out under 8 seconds and so on. It's an excellent drill and one I do in some form or fashion in every two day pistol class I teach.
    http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...9&e=572477480d
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    On this mover would it be 1 rep moving towards the target and 1 rep backing away from the target? Or does it not matter? both towards, both away depending on what you want to work on?

I assume you are familiar with the Rockett chicken fried steak then. My offer stands.
    I usually shoot it from far to near. With my current old man eyes, distance shots are more difficult within the time allotted. I do spend a lot of time doing 3 yard failure to stop drills with lateral movement. I try and keep that to 2 seconds from the holster, with movement, on a B-8 center for the chest and the regular 2"x4" for the final shot. If I do that cold, it's off the range for CFS.

Mmmm CFS....... I'll have to take you up on that sometime.

But the 25 yard shots are really hard for me, so I spend a lot of time doing that as well. So it's mostly 3 yards and 25 yards.

Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Dry fire is free. Heard someone say once- Dry fire being the most inexpensive form of training, it's the most underutilized... Or something like that.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This isn't anything fancy, but I try to do transitions from target to target at very different distances, for instance I'll draw and shoot a failure to stop on an IDPA target at 3 yards, and then as quickly as I can transition to a target that's say 20, or 25 yards away. Just makes me think, especially going from going as fast as I possibly can up close to making myself slow down to make a longer shot.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll try to incorporate some of these drills for indoor range (25yards/75feet???) with my rifle.

I can afford 100 rounds per visit to the range.

My most consistent training is my "hold-over" at various distance: 5,10,15,20,etc with my lower 3rd co-witess Aimpoint H1.
    Two rounds each. Additional rounds if needed.

Then 10 rounds each at 25 feet for both Strong/ Weak Side.

10 rounds at Low Ready then random symbol call to acquire and shoot, tight grouping vs rapid follow shots (no rapid fire at this indoor range)

If anyone care to share...please, with sugar on top.
    Last edited by Ledanek; 03-29-16 at 13:39.
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    If you are in a fight, and something impedes your ability to adequately project force, correct that problem or remove yourself from the fight.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you have the facilities to perform the drills, I suggest some physical fitness integrated with your firearm drills. Integrating physical fitness with live fire drills is an effective way to train in my opinion and it stretches your training ammunition allotment.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The Paul Howe Standards are designed to examine and work a variety of skills at a minimum round count:
    http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/standards.htm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast