Thread: (mm forward bolt assist?

Feedback Score

(mm forward bolt assist?

I saw that some AR's have a forward bolt assist and some do not...what would that be? Is the forward bolt assist just not needed in 9mm? I would think that since 9mm's are blow back designs that they would get crud more easily.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some people think they are not needed at all on any AR15, but I use mine occasionally.

As far as 9mm goes if it had one I would not mind it.

Not sure why you think a 9mm would have more crud buildup since a lot less powder is being burned.
    Last edited by BillBond; 11-14-15 at 07:20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Double tap.

Feedback Score
    You're right. Way less powder being burned but with a straight blow back design I would think that a lot more of it would get in the chamber than with a true locked breach system, no?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The breach is still closed on a 9mm it is just not locked, if it were not closed you would have more serious problems than crud buildup.

Plus it does not have a gas tube dumping gas into the bolt.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The original Stoner design did not have a forward assist. It was added at the insistence of the military.

There are several schools of thought on this; one being that if a round isn't chambering, clear the offending round, rather than force a potentially greater malfunction.

FWIW, in all the time I've shot an AR, I've never used it, and I've had plenty of malfunctions (older, non-mil spec guns, 223 in an 5.56, etc...).

When I shot IPSC, I was taught to start with Tap-Rack-Bang whenever I had a malfunction. Same with every course I've taken. When I started shooting an AR-15, I did the same. Anytime my bolt won't go all the way forward, if I'm on the bench, I want to know why, and if I'm competing (or God forbid shooting for blood) I want a fresh round in the chamber.

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Much peace
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I'd say the FA is there because the company is using a standard upper. Do 9mm BCG's even have the groves for the FA?
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Do 9mm BCG's even have the groves for the FA?
    No they do not

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    No they do not

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Bingo,

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Thanks guys. I didn't think so. I can't find one in stock but from the photos it didn't look it.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree